Monday, August 24, 2015

Seared Pork Tortas #secretrecipeclub



This posts takes me back to when we had a semi working kitchen.  Real food on real plates. Kind of funny to think about now that we are almost back to that spot again. The dishwasher and sink are all hooked up and functioning again. To say that I am excited by running water in the kitchen is a gross understatement. I can just sit and stare in amazement at our our beautiful sink and dishwasher. 


For those of you who don't know most of August we have been in the midst of a full blown kitchen renovation and redo of all the hardwood floors on the first floor. Living in chaos has been the way of life. But now the month is over and that means we the kitchen is slowing being put back together. The end of the month also means its time for my Secret Recipe Club reveal.



For those of you who don't know The Secret Recipe Club is a group of bloggers that get together once a month for a special reveal day posting to share a creation from a secretly assigned member of the group. It is a great way to learn about new blogs and find tasty new recipes.


For the August posting I had Rebekah from Making Miracles.  I know with the kitchen going away I had to get right on planning my recipe. I searched and then searched and searched some more. Pretty much everywhere I looked there were recipes I wanted to try. CBLT wraps, Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad, Honey Chicken Kabobs, and Fall Pear Crisp

I ended up picking the Seared Pork Tortas.  These were tagged as a family favorite and well when you call something a family favorite I was pretty sure we would have a winner. And a winning recipe it was. We cooked the pork on the grill since it was super hot and humid in the beginning of August. This meant we also could grill our bread. 

The sandwiches were topped with a pinto bean and salsa mixture (so simple but so good), the pork, tomatoes, avocado and cheese. These sandwiches quick and delicious. They were super filling for a dinner sandwich but not overly heavy. I just cannot eat a heavy meal in the summer heat. 

Both my husband and I enjoyed these the first time around and as a second helping the next day at lunch.  We will definitely be making these again for a quick yet more sophisticated sandwich.



Seared Pork Tortas

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: saute sandwich pork
Ingredients (Makes 4 sandwiches)
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 12 ounces boneless center-cut pork loin chops
  • 1 (12-ounce) baguette, cut in half horizontally
  • 1/2 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 tablespoons refrigerated fresh salsa
  • 2 slices Monterrey Jack cheese, in halves
  • 1 large tomato, cut into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
  • 1/2 ripe peeled avocado, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
Instructions
Preheat broiler to high.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Slice pork into bite sized pieces and add to hot skillet. Sprinkle cumin and salt evenly over pork and stir to coat. Cook until done, about 5-10 minutes, stirring as needed. Pork should be well browned.

Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving a 3/4-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Place bread halves, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Broil 2 minutes or until golden brown.

Place beans and salsa in a small bowl; mash with a fork until almost smooth. Spoon bean mixture into the bottom half of baguette.

Top with pork, cheese slices, tomato, avocado, and top half of baguette. Cut into 4 pieces.
Powered by Recipage







13 comments:

  1. I just saw on my archives that it's been 2 years since we had a full blast kitchen renovation, and wow, those are tough times! Kudos to you to keep the SRC going..... awesome!

    Good luck, and have a Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recipe! I love the flavor combination. Great pick this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you picked and enjoyed this one - we actually made these again not long ago. I love that salsa / bean mash... I always eat more than I should while everything else is cooking and coming together. :) Hope you have your kitchen "back" again soon and are enjoying the changes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pinto beans and salsa alone have my stomach grumbling (I should probably eat breakfast). I still can't believe you are braving SRC in the midst of a kitchen renovation - BRAVA!! :) Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these do sound good....I better go get myself some breakfast before I read anymore of these reveals LOL>

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great looking sandwich! Good luck in getting your kitchen put back together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious! Good luck with the finishing of your remodel! I'm sure you will love your new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear your kitchen is back together! I was without sink for last Thanksgiving ans it was a real pain. The things we put up with to be able to cook home cooked meals!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for an almost finished kitchen! This sandwich looks amazing---great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't normally crave sandwiches but this sounds great! And good luck with the new kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This recipe is like a cross between taco and sandwich - how great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOOOOVE Tortas! I had my first one a couple weeks ago. Looks great!! Thanks for the warm welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now this is what I call a PROPER sandwich! It looks and sound wonderful and I would love to be tucking into this right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...