Thursday, February 16, 2012

Half and Half Bread



I don't make bread nearly enough.  One of my goals this year...yes remember those "resolutions"...was to make homemade bread more often.  I am not scared of using yeast I just find it a bit too time consuming.  Even on the weekends it seems that the time I am ready to make bread the day is already winding down.


Whenever I do get around to it I have a very lovely time. There is something special about making bread.  I love working the dough.


I love the smell of the dough.


I love the magic of watching it grow and grow.


I love the cutting into fresh, warm bread and seeing the steam escape.


I need a bit more practice shaping the loaves.



I hope to continue making bread.  I feel like a month and a half into the year and only getting around to making bread once is a bit of a slow start.  I promise to do better. I know it will take some effort but I am ready.  I am also ready for all of the sampling.  This was a simple sandwich bread recipe. I switched have of the flour to whole wheat to make the bread a bit more hearty.


1/2 and 1/2 Sandwich Bread

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 4 hours
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: bake bread
Ingredients (2 loaves)
  • 1/2 cup low-fat milk
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 packages active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3-4 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Instructions
Place milk, sugar, butter and salt in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until the butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm.
Dissolve yeast in warm water in a warmed bowl of an electric stand mixer. Attach the dough hook. Add lukewarm milk mixture, whole wheat flour, and 3 cups all purpose flour. Mix on low speed for 1 minute.
Continuing on low speed, slowly add the remaining flour, about 1/2 cup at a time. One the sides become clean stop adding flour, about two minutes. Continue kneading for two more minutes. The dough will become smooth but slightly sticky to the touch.
Place dough in a greased bowl. Flip once so all sides are coated in oil. Cover. Let rise in a warm place for about an hour, or till doubles in bulk.
Once doubled, punch down dough and divide into two equal pieces. Place each half into greased bread pans. Cover. Let rise again for about an hour or until doubled in size.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake loaves for 25-30 minutes. Check for doneness but tapping the top of each loaf. If it sounds hollow, then it is ready. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire racks.
Powered by Recipage

18 comments:

  1. Your bread looks great. I started making bread this year too. I usually free form it, for that rustic look. I think next time I am actually going to put it in a loaf pan. Happy baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those loaves look toasty and wonderful to make sandwiches with! Check out my sandwich recipe - Masala Sandwich

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you added some whole wheat flour. These loaves look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to try making my own sandwich bread so bad! Yours looks wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally YUMMY

    Aarthi
    http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love using both all purpose and whole wheat, I'm always mixing both in! Love the flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I should make this my new resolution too! don't make homemade bread nearly as often as I should! And who could resist homemade sandwich bread?!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fabulous! Who doesn't love fresh bread, and this is great for every day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They may not be the same size, but I bet they both taste terrific! I make my own bread about 95% of the time...and there is a loaf baking in the oven right now...you can't beat the smell! The recipe looks FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you. I love everything about making bread! This looks and sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my goals in 2012 is to start doing homemade bread - I think I'll start with your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're so right, nothing better is better than fresh, warm bread right out of the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A classic and delicious loaf recipe. I quite agree with you: fresh baked bread is one of those resolutions that is always so worth it. Nothing is quite so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't make bread very often either but your loaves look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a perfect loaf of bread! I'm slacking on my bread making this year so far. Definitely need to get back into it, might just try this out first! :) Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look great to me. I make bread a lot and I always do two loaves. They rarely look the same. Bread is one of those things that the more you make it the easier it gets. And the possibilities are endless for it. So fun to play around with.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your bread is beautiful! I need to make bread more often; you have inspired me. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmm, what gorgeous loaves! Looks like a delicious bread recipe to me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...