Thursday, February 23, 2012

All American Meatloaf


You all probably remember my loaf of meat story.  Well, I am glad to announce that I made meatloaf for the second time in my life.  I ate it too.  This was an abbreviated version from Ann over at Healthy Cooking For Me. The only difference is I added 1 carrot and 2 garlic cloves.  The carrots added an extra bit of sweetness and made me feel better for eating all of the meat.


This recipe was a huge success and I think it will now be my go-to meatloaf recipe.  Of course, I am only introducing this slowly into our recipe rotation so maybe once a year.  But I would highly encourage others who actually love meatloaf to try it out and eat it often.


We finished off the rest of the pretzel rolls with meatloaf sandwiches for lunch.  Mmmm, meat and bread, Mr. J's favorite.


All American Meatloaf

by Adapted from Healthy Cooking For Me, Cooking Light
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Ingredients (4 servings)
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 3/4 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
  • 1 medium onion, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 carrot, minced
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Instructions
Mince onion, garlic and carrot in Cuisinart until finely chopped.

Combine first 12 ingredients in a large bowl, shape into one loaf. Place on a lightly sprayed rack in a broiler pan. Bake 350F for 40 minutes

Combine 1/2 cup ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Spoon over baked meatloaf; bake 15 minutes longer.

Powered by Recipage

13 comments:

  1. the glaze on top is a lovely addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks totally delicious..I would love to try this..Bookmarked.

    Aarthi
    http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see I am not the only one that doesn't have one of those "special" meatloaf pans! I really do not believe it is all that necessary anyway.
    This loaf does look tasty, glad to get another opinion. I have never used oats in meatloaf before, but it obviously works quite well. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have meatloaf pans? I had no idea. Crazy some of the specialty items they make. I have a few myself but the meatloaf one I can live without.

      Delete
  4. love that is is so healthy - something my brother could definitely devour instead of fried meat :D
    Thanks!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, you made my day! Thank you SO much! I'm glad you like this loaf of meat! It's one of our favorites! ...LOVE the additions you made!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does look yummy! I have to admit, I haven't had meatloaf in years! I need to give it a try again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This meatloaf looks great! It's been a while since I had one so this might have giving me a craving for it now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that it's healthier! Looks like such a glorious piece of comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to admit...i don't think i ever had meatloaf before. I've seen the recipe, but never made it or order it in a restaurant. I think it's great on bread or with some mash potatoes. I haven't seen Ann's version yet, but yours look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE MEATLOAF!
    ABSOLUTELY love it! This is a nice version I'd like to try to make.

    Patrick @ Appetite for Good

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...