Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Chocolate Love

Turns out I don't have a bundt pan. I really swear I have one but I spent about 30 minutes trying to find one in the kitchen, closet, and pantry yesterday with no luck. When this happens I normally think that I do have one I just got in back when I lived with my parents and magically it is still at there house and not with me in Connecticut.  

Not helpful. Mom...you will be getting a phone call about this.  

Turns out a tube pan works just as well although I do love the curves of the bundt.  Yes, that does give me a picture in my head. And yes, I am chuckling to myself a bit.  That's about as dirty as my mind gets. Your welcome.



Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
1/2 C plain yogurt 
1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 3/4 C all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 C granulated sugar
1/2 C canola oil
1 tsp vanilla 
3 medium eggs
1/2 C mini chocolate chips

Topping: 
1/2 C chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a tube pan with oil.

In a small bowl, add yogurt, lemon juice and applesauce together; set aside. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder; set aside. In a stand mixer, beat sugar, oil and vanilla extract until combined. Add the eggs one at a time until the batter is light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides.

Starting with the flour, add to the batter alternating with the yogurt mixture and mix until combined. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips.  Add the batter to your pan be careful not to hit the center piece with batter.

Bake in the middle of the oven  for 35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. 

Let the cake cool slightly before turning out onto a cake rack.


Melt remaining chocolate chips in microwave.  Starting with 15 seconds, stirring after each 15 second interval.  When smooth spread chocolate across the top of cake with an offset spatula.


Mr. J was so fascinated with this cake. He thought is looked like one giant chocolate frosted cake doughnut.  A doughnut he wanted to eat.


This cake was good. Really too good. It was our special early Valentine's day treat.  Half of it was gone the first day. I had multiple stomachaches but it was worth it.


15 comments:

  1. I don't have a bundt pan or a tube pan :( I need to get one, this cake looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good. I have a friend with a son who can't have any dairy. I am going to make this with some carob chocolate chips to see how that turns out....Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a giant doughnut!! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I'll refrain from making any comments about Bundt/Tube pans :-p

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha its does like a gigantic doughnut! The frosting looks de-liciousss! I love chocolate chip cake, I've never thought to add in lemon juice, i'll have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would make this in any cake pan I could find! I love the melted chocolate on top. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I want this right now!! Oh, chocolate, how I love thee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm, drooling! And I already had dinner and dessert!
    Love the use of applesauce in this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate it when that happens! You just know you have it but can't find it... it never fails I find what I was looking for like a week later when I'm over the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm... Drooooooling here! Love bundt cakes and this is no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the use of yogurt and applesauce...way to use healthier ingredients and a natural sweetener! I've been meaning to use applesauce but haven't gotten to it yet. Awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tube pan or not, it still looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoops, that above comment was me, Carolyn from All Day I Dream...

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love this...totally yummy

    Aarthi
    http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those chips, mmmm... perfect for the tea time (or anytime.... ;-)

    Enjoy #chocolate bloghop!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...