Monday, April 28, 2014

CHOCOLATE-ESPRESSO POTS DE CREME {SRC}


Can you believe April is almost over?  One this month flew by.  Two it is still a bit cold for me to believe it is full blown Spring mode.  Maybe May will just up the ante with temperatures.  I cannot wait for all the trees and flowers to bloom. 


It being the end of the month and all means it is time for the Secret Recipe Club post. This month for the Secret Recipe Club I was given Karen's Kitchen Stories.  She had wonderful, wonderful bread recipes but I was having some serious chocolate hankerings this month.  When I spotted the Chocolate Expresso Pots De Creme I knew I had to make them.


Although this is a dessert I always enjoyed at restaurants, I had the notion that it was difficult to make and thus never attempted previous to this month. Maybe it is the whole water bath process?  I am happy to say I was completely wrong in terms of difficulty. 


This recipe came together quickly you just need to be patient and keep a close eye on what you are doing.  Burnt cream is no good. Neither is curdy eggs because you poured in the warm chocolate too fast.  

My husband and I shared the larger portion since I didn't have enough 2 1/2 inch ramekins from Karen's recipe.  It was only problematic when it came to who got the last scoop of chocolate.  


Secret Recipe Club


Chocolate Expresso Pots de Creme

by Emily Morris,
Karen's Kitchen Stories
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert chocolate
Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 1 1/4 C heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tsp. instant espresso powder
  • 3 ounces of bittersweet chocolate (about 65% to 75% cacao), finely chopped
  • 3 extra large egg yolks
  • 1 T granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 to 3 cups of boiling water for the water bath
Instructions
In a 1 quart saucepan, bring the heavy cream and espresso to a boil, whisking constantly to dissolve the espresso.

Remove the pan from the heat. Add the chocolate and whisk until all of the chocolate is fully combined. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F with a rack in the middle.

Using a stand mixer, mix the egg yolks until broken completely. Add the sugar, vanilla, and salt and continue beating until well blended.

Add one to two tablespoons of the chocolate mixture to the stand mixer with the mixer on low to temper the egg mixture. Slowly add the remaining chocolate mixture while mixing constantly to thoroughly blend the ingredients.

If needed strain the mixture to remove any cooked egg pieces that might have formed. Pour batter into a two cup measuring cup.

Divide the mixture evenly among ramekins. You will need 8 2 1/2 inch ramekins or 4 4 inch ramekins. Place the ramekins into a quarter sheet pan or a 2 quart casserole.

Bring 2 to 3 cups of water to a boil. When the water is boiling, pour it into the baking pan so that it comes about half way up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the pan tightly with foil and carefully place it in the oven.

Bake for 25 to 27 minutes, until the sides are done but the middle is still slightly soft. (If you use larger ramekins will will take a bit longer to cook.

Remove from the water bath and cool on a cooling rack.

Serve warm with whipped cream and strawberries.
Powered by Recipage


Check out all of the other recipes here:

28 comments:

  1. What a delicious, decadent deseert! Great pick for SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decadent, but not over the top - perfect dessert, in my opinion...

    coffee and chocolate - what's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes and yes! Chocolate and coffee go so well together.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. My spoon was so clean you wouldn't even think to clean it!!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness - that looks DIVINE!! Great choice this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum.... nothing better than some classic chocolate!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look incredible and the method isn't as scary sounding as I thought it was going to be - so I'm going to have to make them soon! Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much easier than I ever thought. Plus it was amazing so well worth it.

      Delete
  7. These look great! I had Karen's blog recently and was SO tempted to make these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many wonderful choices but I am really happy I went with the chocolate.

      Delete
  8. I don't really like coffee flavored things but gosh this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally would have picked this recipe! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious dessert! Great pick this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emily, you made a fabulous, fabulous SRC pick! That little dish of yumminess is just fabulous looking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Avril! We enjoyed it so much and were sad when it was all gone. Isn't that always the way when you make something good?

      Delete
  12. Awesome! Great SRC pick!! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  13. I"m so glad you liked these! So happy to "meet" you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, Emily, I want one of these right now!! Chocolate plus coffee is just my kind of heaven. I've always been a bit nervous about making pots de creme too, but you've given me the confidence to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this looks incredible and delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These pot de cremes look phenomenal. I would love to have one of these. Chocolate is my husband's favorite food in the whole world. I might make these for our anniversary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks amazing! I will definitely have to try it. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...