Monday, April 21, 2014

Salty Honey Pie

A deliciously sweet, smooth and creamy pie packed full of honey and butter flavor.





I hope you had a marvelous Easter weekend. Mr. J and I were pretty low key and enjoyed the lovely spring weather.




I made this pie for Easter dinner. It is from the Four and Twenty Blackbird Pie book I got for Christmas. I have been eying this pie all winter and decided the Salty Honey Pie would be perfect for Easter dessert.




It was so perfect that 2 slices were promptly missing one day before Easter. It almost killed Mr. J to wait the three hour cool time once the baking was done. He had to leave the house. Seriously.




I am not a big pie fan. And this doesn't even have chocolate in it but I am telling you this is one fantastic pie. If you like honey at all, you must try this out. After the whole crust making the filling is simple to put together. The tricky part is pulling the oven out before it gets too dark and burns. I think I got ours just in the nick of time even though the filling was still kind of juicy when I removed it from the oven.  It firmed up nicely once cooled.




Salted Honey Pie

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus time for crus
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients (serves 12)
For the Crust:
  • 1/2 cup (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup cold buttermilk
For the Filling:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon white cornmeal
  • scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract)
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons flaked sea salt
Instructions
To make the crust:
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Add cold, cubed butter and, using your fingers (or a potato masher), work the butter into the flour mixture. Quickly break the butter down into the flour mixture, some butter pieces will be the size of oat flakes, some will be the size of peas. Create a well in the mixture and pour in the cold buttermilk. Use a fork to bring to dough together. Try to moisten all of the flour bits. Add a bit more buttermilk if necessary, but you want to mixture to be shaggy and not outwardly wet.

On a lightly floured work surface, dump out the dough mixture. It will be moist and shaggy. That’s perfect. Gently knead into a disk. Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Allowing the dough to rest in the refrigerator will help rechill the butter and distribute the moisture.

To roll out the pie crust, on a well floured surface, roll the crust 1/8 inch thick and about 12 inches in diameter. Transfer it to a pie pan. Trim the edge almost even with the edge of the pan Fold the edges under and crimp with your fingers or a fork. Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for a minimum of 30 minutes and a maximum of 3 hours.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place a rack in the center of the oven.
To make the filling:
In a medium bowl whisk together melted butter, sugar, cornmeal, and salt. Add the vanilla extract into the butter mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined. Whisk in honey.
Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking to combine.

Whisk in heavy cream and vinegar.

Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust. Bake pie for 45 to 55 minutes until pie is deep golden brown and puffed around the edges and set in the center. Open the oven and rotate the pie halfway through baking. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 4 hours before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature, and sprinkle with sea salt just before serving.
Powered by Recipage

7 comments:

  1. I've heard of honey pies, but I've never given one a try. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks crazy good. I've always found myself really intrigued by simple pies like this! Got to try it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been SO curious about Salty Honey pie and yours looks really beautiful and crazy tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never even heard of this pie before, Emily!!! I may just have to test it out myself!!! Bill loves when I bake pies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pie looks so good! It's totally new to me, but I would love to try it out

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a totally new pie for me... it's a must try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried honey pie. I totally need to try honey pie. This looks and sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...