Friday, April 18, 2014

Buttermilk Biscuits


In high school I worked at an organic farm store. It actually was the first certified dairy farm in Maine. I didn't really work on the farm; I spent most of my time in the food store and bakery. Once a week we would make biscuits.


I wouldn't describe myself as a biscuit lover. In fact whenever we visit Cracker Barrel and they bring biscuits and corn bread I always pick the corn bread.


I think my weekly biscuits fix in high school carried me through for quite a while until now. For the last two weeks I couldn't get biscuits out of my head. Finally I decided there was no use waiting any longer. Biscuits were a must.


Mr. J was more than happy when he walked in the door and found this tray on the oven.  I only baked off six last weekend since we were both going to be gone this week. The rest were cut and frozen for the next time I get the biscuit craving.


I enjoy my biscuits with a dab of butter, honey or peanut butter.  They are best warm, right out of the oven when any topping melts right into the flaky biscuit. Those frozen biscuits might be making an appearance soon than expected.


Buttermilk Biscuits

by Emily Morris, the Smitten Kitchen
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast
Ingredients (10 biscuits)
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon table salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 9 Tbsp chilled unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
Instructions
Heat oven to 400 °F and cover baking sheet with parchment paper.

Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large, wide bowl.

Using a pastry blender, work butter into dry ingredients until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.

Add buttermilk and stir until large, craggy clumps form. Reach hands into bowl and knead mixture briefly until it just holds together.

Transfer dough to floured counter and pat out until 1/2 to 3/4-inch thick.

Using a round cutter (2 or 3 inches depending on the size you desire), press straight down — twisting produces less layered sides — and transfer rounds to prepared sheet, spacing two inches apart.

Bake until biscuits are golden brown on top, about 10 to 12 minutes. Cool slightly, then serve warm.

Non-baked biscuits can be frozen for later once cut into rounds.
Powered by Recipage

3 comments:

  1. that sounds like such a cool job!!!

    and I love these biscuits-so classic and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy looking biscuits. I can just imagine sinking my teeth into them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delish! And now I think I need a biscuit fix as well! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...