Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday's Five: Hot Chocolate

I love hot chocolate. In college I would make hot chocolate early every morning before heading to breakfast. I think I might need to get back in that routine.  Chocolate in the morning only leads to a very good day. For today's Friday's Five I am sharing my favorite hot chocolates.




Hot Chocolate
by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 2
Cook Time: 5
Keywords: beverage Chocolate
Ingredients (Serves 4)
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/3 cup boiling water
  • 3 1/2 cups milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
Instructions
Combine the cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt in a saucepan. Blend in the boiling water. Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir. Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes. Watch that it doesn't scorch.
Stir in 3 1/2 cups of milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil! Remove from heat and add vanilla.
Divide between 4 mugs. Add the cream to the mugs of cocoa to cool it to drinking temperature.
Powered by Recipage


My favorite store bought hot chocolate is Ghirardelli. There are several flavors but I like the mocha or hazelnut the best.  The key to good hot chocolate is milk.  Please, please promise never ever to use water.


Serendipity in New York City has this famous Frozen Hot Chocolate. I don't know how else to describe it than delicious.  If you aren't close to NYC.  Paula Deen makes her own version with an at home recipe.

Godiva makes hot chocolate kind of like their truffles.  Very sweet, very rich, and very good!


Finally my special treat is Angelia's Hot Chocolate. This stuff is straight from France. There are some seriously little chocolate nuggets in there. The actual directions use half and half but I use milk.  It is still very decadent. If you ever have the opportunity to have some, trust me and run straight for a mug.


Finally, Annie Oakley's Kitchen awarded me a blog award. She makes all sorts of yummy goodness - check out her pies.   Seriously Apple Rosemary or Chocolate Peanut Butter. Which one would you pick?  Thanks for passing it along.  Too nice!


So, what does “Liebster” mean?

Liebster is a German word that literally translates to “dearest”, “favorite”, and “beloved”. By giving this award, one blogger says to another, “This is a favorite and beloved blog.” I am honored to receive it, knowing that I am “dear”, “favored”, and “loved” by other bloggers. Also, it is only awarded to blogs with under 200 subscribers.

Now it is time for me to pass along the honor! The winners of the award are listed below. Please take a moment and check out these fine blogs.

Below is the rules of the award:

1. Copy and paste the award on your blog.
2. Link back to the blogger who gave us the award
3. Pick our five favorite blogs with less than 200 followers, and leave a comment on their blog to let them know they have received the award.
4. Hope that the five blogs chosen will keep spreading the love and pass it on to five more blogs

14 comments:

  1. I love hot Chocolate too... and will promise to not make it with water, maybe that's I should fix on my hot chocolate,because mine taste flavourless :( will try your recipe

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew-after reading all of this, I am about ready for a hot chocolate party! The way you described the last one does have me very curious to try-sounds like the ultimate in hot chocolate-yum! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS-Congrats on the award, glad Annie passed it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much hot chocolate in one post! Hot chocolate is easily my favorite beverage. I don't need coffee or tea, just give me a mug of this stuff! Your recipe looks classic but absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing like a cup of cocoa to start the day! Though I cheat and just use k-cups in my Keurig machine most of the time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ghirardelli hot chocolate too, we've got a tin in my pantry right now :) And thank you so much for the award!! I am so flattered you thought of me! I love all of your recipes so this means a lot :) Thanks Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm I love hot chocolate and you totally just inspired to go make a cup! Congrats on your award, well-deserved! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hot chocolate too - when it's real hot chocolate! There's something SO comforting about it! And I have always wanted to go to Serendipity, always...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're dipping down into the single digits this weekend...perfect weather for hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your recipe for hot chocolate, Emily! I don't think I've ever made it from scratch so I'd love to try your recipe. Looks so warm and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. O wow, that looks so rich and delightful! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Emily! I actually also awarded you the Liebster this morning! Keep up the good work, this hot chocolate post has seriously kicked up a big craving! http://www.kandktestkitchen.com/2012/02/spreading-love-with-pasta.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your Liebster (s) :D
    And this hot chocolate looks like a stunning way to celebrate - nice one!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: 3 Layer Brownie Cheesecake

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love hot cocoa too and I often prefer it over coffee these days! Thanks for sharing these great store-bought brands too. I love Ghiradelli also!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...