Monday, May 23, 2011

Craving Carrots

Happy Monday!  I wish you a great start to the week.  In case you need a bit of help with this, I have, for you, a delicious, easy, healthy cookie recipe.


A few weeks ago another food obsessed co-worker, Gina, sent me a cookie recipe and said it was a must try.  We have very similar taste in food and basically anything she recommends I know I will end up loving. She is also very healthy so there is no worrying about my figure widening like some of my other want to try recipes.  These cookies have a few different ingredients that I don't regularly have in the pantry, mainly coconut oil.  Thus, it took a little effort before I could make them. It was well worth it though.  These are great cookies, and a healthy snack.

Carrot Oatmeal Cookies
From 101 Cookbooks

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour ( I used regular whole wheat flour.)

1 teaspoon baking powder
scant 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup real maple syrup, room temperature
1/2 cup unrefined (fragrant) coconut oil, warmed until just melted
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger


Directions:
Preheat oven to 375F degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.



In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and oats. Add the nuts and carrots. In a separate smaller bowl use a whisk to combine the maple syrup, coconut oil, and ginger. Add this to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.

Drop onto prepared baking sheets, one level tablespoonful at a time, leaving about 2 inches between each cookie. Bake in the top 1/3 of the oven for 10 - 12 minutes or until the cookies are golden on top and bottom.


Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies. 


So did you notice there there is no animal products or sugar in these cookies?  I guess that means they are vegan.  I didn't realize the sugar part until after I had mixed them all together.  These cookies are moist, chewy, and sweet enough for my taste.  There mini size means you can have 2 4 at a time. 

They are very, very easy to put together.  The longest part is shredding the carrots and as you can see I had a little help.  I am still waiting for Mr. J to taste them but I am pretty sure they will be a success.  They already are in my mind.

11 comments:

  1. Hmmm...carrots, coconut oil, ginger? Those sound interesting! They do look yummy though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOw! So many great flavors getting all friendly together in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm! Look at all those yummy flavors put together...love this cookie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, vegan carrot cookies? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love it! I am such a freak about carrots so this cookie is ALL SORTS of looking fantastic to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had something similar before, so I know those are delicious and healthy at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of carrot cookies! These look delicious and healthy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your lovely concoction with me...and for your kind words on my own blog. I'm wanting some of these healthy treats now. I hope you have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scrumptious cookies! Those would be so good for breakfast. I like the addition of maple syrup and ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cookies I don't have to feel guilty about...nice. What a great recipe. I've actually never thought to put carrot into cookies....probably because I'm obsessed with carrot cake...ehehehe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...