Sunday, May 8, 2011

Duckhorn Vineyards

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! 

My parents are in town this weekend so I was able to celebrate in person.  We talked about lots of options and ended up with ice cream, pizza, and some hot wings, homemade and served with love.  My mom was happy, so were the rest of us.  I hope you had a wonderful day being/thinking with your mom.

One of the favorite things Mr. J and I did during our trip was visit Duckhorn vineyards.  Way back in December when we went to NYC for Christmas, we had dinner at Delmonico's and were first introduced to Duckhorn.  It was incredible wine.  Once I realized this vineyard was right close to us I was sure we had to make a stop.



Thank goodness we did.  Isn't beautiful?


Mr. J and I had a hard time adjusting to the time difference.  We would wake up at 4am every morning wide awake.  None of the vineyards opened till 10am; it was a long time to wait. Thus, we showed up bright and early at Duckhorn to begin our second day of drinking.  Just kidding we had only planned two visits for our last day. I seriously haven't had a drink yet. I think I will be in detox for month after the Platypus tour.

There were ducks everywhere, so cute!



There were two tastings being offer the regular $20/person of wines you can find across the country and the $30/person premium tasting of vineyard special wines.  We decided to upgrade in order to have the one of a kind wine tastes.  I tried to convince Mr. J to share the tasting between us but he would have none of it. 

The tasting was suppose to include 5 samples.  We had be given an early sample in a different room before beginning the official tasting.  We were also sample two other special varieties.  That made for 8 tastes.  It might have just been me but I really think they give you more as you go along.  At times I felt like we were have 1/2 glasses with every sample.  They give you rosemary almonds and crackers on the table just in case you need some substance at 10am to go along with the wine.

I love at Duckhorn that you sit at a table and are designated a sommelier.  As they give you each glass of wine you get an explanation as to where the grapes were grown in the area, how many bottles were made and other interesting stories.   The whole experience is very personal yet not intimidating.  You also get a cute card of the label to go along with the sample which also has information posted on the back.  It was so much fun and relaxing.  I think we were there for almost 2 hours.


So what do you do when you have a lot of really good wine...well I had this


Yeah, and I don't even like hot dogs.  It was so good though.  This was a local no bad things in it hot dog.  You could just taste the goodness!  And the sweet potato fries oh my.  It is a good thing Gott's Roadside is not close to Connecticut.  




Mr. J got the great big western burger with bacon.  It was as big as his hand and Mr. J has really BIG hands!



Great day!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post Emily! Just wanted to let you know I passed the versatile blogger award on to you, come check out my page and feel free to pass it on to others! :)
    http://cookskinny.blogspot.com/2011/05/gold-cup-and-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...