Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Mushroom Risotto

It's only Tuesday and I already feel like I am behind.  We had some whopper storms pass through last night.  I work up at least twice because of thunder that was so close it shook me.  Then, it poured.  I haven't checked on my poor plants outside but I hope they are alright.  This is such a crazy year for weather.

The lack of sunshine is making my body crave comfort food. Everyone has their own sense of comfort. Macaroni and cheese is high up on my list, as is spaghetti and meatballs and clam chowder. Yum! This weekend though I was struck by the thought of mushroom risotto. I couldn’t get it out of my head.
I have seen risotto recipes with nice spring veggie. However, for me, risotto is a bit heavier and cheesy. I haven’t made risotto for quite a long time. After looking through a few basic recipes I came up with this simple version.

Mushroom Risotto


Ingredients:
4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 onion, diced, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced, divided
1/2 crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper
2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated

Directions:
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 onion and 1 clove garlic, cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the fresh mushrooms, herbs and butter. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes until lightly browned, season with salt and pepper. Season again with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Saute 1 minute then remove from heat and set aside.
 


Coat a saucepan with remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the rice and stir quickly until it is well-coated and opaque, 1 minute.

This step cooks the starchy coating and prevents the grains from sticking. Stir in wine and cook until it is nearly all evaporated.

Now, with a ladle, add 1 cup of the broth and cook, stirring, until the rice has absorbed the liquid. Add the remaining broth, 1 cup at a time. Continue to cook and stir, allowing the rice to absorb each addition of broth before adding more.


The risotto should be slightly firm and creamy, not mushy. Transfer the mushrooms to the rice mixture. Stir in Parmesan cheese, cook briefly until melted.


3 comments:

  1. Mushroom risotto is one of my favorites. There was this restaurant I went to once that had the absolute BEST mushroom risotto I have ever had in my life. Yours look so similar to what I had I am thinking about driving the 3 hours to go get it at that restaurant right now! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this weather is insane! Hope your plants are ok! :)

    Your risotto looks so good! I want some!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...