Monday, February 13, 2012

Madeleines



 I would have to say these cookies were baked about 1 minute more than they should have been.  I set the timer to 10 minutes which is 1 minute shorter than the short end of the baking time.  I still lost.  It doesn't matter though because these little beauties were delicious.  The recipe makes 12.  I had 3 before I knew what hit me.


My dad got me a Madeleine pan a couple of years ago and I have yet to make the cookies.  They were a favorite of my in France.  I adore seeing them in stores but in the US they are never the same as my French memories.  Sigh! I think that will always be the way.  These however were quite good, not like France but I will take it.  These cookies are super easy to put together. You can even make the dough days in advance and just pop them in the oven for a quick dessert.  The only problem is you need a special pan.  For this though I would say it is worth it. 


Madeleines were made famous by Marcel Proust (1871-1922) in his autobiographical novel À la recherche du temps perdu, translated Remembrance of Things Past, Volume 1, Swann's Way. This novel was left unfinished upon his death, and his brothers published the book in 1923. He wrote:
She sent for one of those squat plump little cakes called "petites madeleines," which look as though they had been molded in the fluted valve of a scallop shell … I raised to my lips a spoonful of the tea in which I had soaked a morsel of the cake. No sooner had the warm liquid mixed with the crumbs touched my palate than a shudder ran through me and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary thing that was happening to me. An exquisite pleasure invaded my senses …
And suddenly the memory revealed itself. The taste was that of the little piece of madeleine which on Sunday mornings at Combray … when I went to say good morning to her in her bedroom, my aunt Leonie used to give me, dipping it first in her own cup of tea or tisane …. and the whole of Combray and its surroundings, taking shape and solidity, sprang into being, town and garden alike, from my cup of tea.
 Source



Madeleines

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients (12 cookies)
  • 2/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter (6 Tbsp), melted and cooled
Instructions
In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a mixer bowl combine the sugar and lemon juice. Once moist, add the eggs one at a time. Beat on medium high speed until pale, think and light, about 2-3 minutes. Add in vanilla.
With a rubber spatula fold in the flour mixture. Once combined add in the melted butter, folding gently.
Butter 12 full-sized Madeleine molds. Spoon the batter into the molds, filling each one almost to the top. Cover the pan and place in refrigerator for 3 hours or up to 2 days.
When ready to bake preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until they are golden and the tops spring back when touched. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
Powered by Recipage




17 comments:

  1. They look lovely, I've never made madeleines before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madelines are on the to do list, but I am still on the fence about getting the pan! I like the bit of history you included in this post and your pictures are tempting. Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to buy a madeline pan! These look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your madelines look wonderful. I always look at the pans in the kitchen shops....have even gone so far as to pick one up and hold it, but I always end up putting it back thinking I wouldn't ever use it....glad to see you used yours in such a grand way!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey!
    Found you on Nami's website and I am glad I did. These look amazing I wish I can have one now. Have a great day!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Proust quote, and the whole idea of how strongly a memory can be triggered by food. Just beautiful. These madeleines look like perfection! (I like them just a tad brown like this).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a delicate and elegant cookie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to make these! I need a madeleine pan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Madeleine has always been in to-bake for ages...

    Yours are simply beautiful! I would love to make mine soon :D

    Your blog is amazing! I would love to follow you for more of your delicious cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a madeleine pan, but seeing your post made me want to go out and get one! I hope you had a great start to your week. I spent mine baking and writing...a much needed day of rest. Thank you for sharing yet another delicious post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious! Would you believe I've never had a madeleine? I've always wanted to try one, tho.

    The quote you have is a beautiful, poetic description...now I want them more than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I grew up with a second "maman", who was French (somewhat fused families, I still talk about two moms, two dads and a brother and sister!) so Madeleines were a treat I have loved since childhood. Looks like a beautiful rendition :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love fresh-baked Madeleines, I can see how you ate three in one sitting (I certainly could eat more :-). Very nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your madeleines look fluffy & delicious! I've never tried to make them and I don't have the pan to but I think I may have to go out and buy one. I really enjoy madeleines and wouldn't it be great to be able to make them! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such exquisite Madeleines - though I never need a chocolate break, I would definitely do so for these delicious treats - another stunning post :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Healthiest Chewiest Natural Sugars Muesli Bars

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never tried making madeleines before. They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...