Monday, January 13, 2014

Olive Garden's Chicken Gnocchi Soup

A copy cat version of Olive Garden's creamy chicken gnocchi soup. A perfect way to warm up on a cold winter's day.




I just had the last bowl of this soup for lunch. Good thing too. I needed some major comforting after a long Monday. I was too busy enjoying our new couch this morning to get the post complete before work. I knew this was a bad idea when it was happening but I still hoped for the best. 




This week I am home the whole week. This hasn't happened in a very long time.  But office time doesn't mean slow. In fact the more I am in the office the more work I seem to accumulate. Not that I am not getting things done, just that more comes on the plate. And right now what is coming in is faster than what is getting done. Not a great cycle.




So this post not getting done before work meant it wasn't getting done till now. 8pm. It was a long day.  


As for the soup, it is warm, creamy and oh so comforting. We used some of the chicken from our roasted chicken dinner Saturday night. And although I wouldn't call it super healthy due to the cream, it is full of veggies - spinach, onion, celery and carrots. If it is cold where you are and you need something to warm up, this soup is for you.


Olive Garden's Chicken Gnocchi Soup

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (serves 8)
  • 4 T butter (1/2 stick)
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 C diced yellow onion
  • 1/2 C finely diced celery
  • 3 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 C all-purpose flour
  • 1 pint half-and-half
  • 32 oz chicken stock
  • kosher salt
  • 1/2 t dried thyme
  • 1/2 t dried parsley flakes
  • 1/4 t ground nutmeg
  • 1 C grated carrots
  • 1 C chopped spinach leaves
  • 1 C cooked rotisserie chicken
  • 16 oz ready-to-use gnocchi
Instructions
In a large soup pot, melt butter into oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the onion becomes translucent.

Whisk in the flour and cook for about a minute, then slowly whisk in the half-and-half. Simmer until thickened.

Whisk in chicken stock, simmer again. Stir in salt, thyme, parsley, nutmeg, carrots spinach, chicken and gnocchi. Bring to a boil, then lower heat down to a simmer.

Taste and add salt if needed.
Powered by Recipage

8 comments:

  1. Ah I feel you too. I had a long day too and walked in at 8.30. I wish I had a bowl of this soup waiting for me...it looks so comforting and amazing. Instead, Mr J made tenders and fries lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, this sure looks good. I've had a long day too and there's nothing like soup to soothe the body and the soul. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This soup sounds so tasty. And it looks better than Olive Garden's! I will definitely be giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your soup sounds perfect for our cold wet weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's cold. I want this soup. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family would love this!!! Another cold front on its way...perfect dinner idea. Enjoy your week at home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a hearty bowl of yumminess!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...