Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Broccoli Cheddar Mashed Potatoes



Oh my goodness I found a new favorite thing.  Last week we had a potluck at work and I was kind of torn about what to do.  I always enjoy bringing dessert but it seems so does everyone else.  When I went to sign up, there were 6 desserts and 2 savory dishes.  I could hardly justify adding to the sweets list.  After a bit of research I found these broccoli cheddar mashed potatoes. 



This recipes feeds a ton which was perfect for the potluck; however, next time I will be cutting down the portions to fit our family of three.  The recipe though is super simple and is full of ingredients we always have on hand.  You boil potatoes and right before the potatoes are done you add the broccoli.  Finishing cooking, drain and mash up just like any other mashed potato recipe.  At the very end you add shredded cheese. These mashed potatoes are truly divine and I see them in our very near future again. 

Broccoli Cheddar Mashed Potatoes

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: saute side broccoli cheese potatoes
Ingredients (serves 10)
  • 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled if desired and cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 3 cups frozen broccoli florets
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2-3/4 cup milk
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • Melted butter
Instructions
In a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven, cook potatoes, covered, in enough lightly salted boiling water to cover for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. When the potatoes are nearly cooked (about 5 minutes remaining), add broccoli florets to the Dutch oven. Drain.

Return the hot, drained potatoes to the hot Dutch oven. Add the 1/4 cup butter. Let stand, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the milk over low heat until hot but not boiling.

Mash potatoes with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed just until light and fluffy.

Stir in the warm milk, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in additional milk to make potatoes desired creaminess. If desired, serve with additional butter.
Powered by Recipage

1 comment:

  1. I love the touch of green in the potatoes! Makes me feel a little better about carb loading :) My boys would love this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...