Monday, October 3, 2016

Cheese and Zatar Sticks #secretrecipeclub


We have been super busy the last few weekends with guests.  And work is crazy with each of us being out of the house every few days. We get by but have little energy left over.  It's times like this that extra bills come in and random house things come up to really put us over the edge.  I am looking forward to this upcoming week when we are both home all week and a weekend free of activities. 


As an extra treat for the week I whipped up these cheese and Zatar sticks from Chef in Disguise.  This is the blog I was assigned for the October Secret Recipe Club post.

Sawsan, the author behind Chef in Disguise is Palestinian, but was raised in Jordan. I lived, studied and worked in Amman up until June 2014  when her and her husband moved to United Arab Emirates. Her blog is full of delicious Middle Eastern foods as well as pictures from her travels and where she lives. Having never been to this area of the world I am always amazed at the vibrant colors and different architectural designs. I had so much fun exploring this blog. 


There were so many interesting recipes to pick from I had a list a mile long but had trouble sourcing some of the ingredients.  We don't have many Middle Eastern grocery stores around me.  A shame too because don't these recipes sound delicious, Cheesy Flatbread and Harissa Cake.


Sawsan has so many bread or yeast recipes that I was immediately drawn to too. I really liked this meat galette but then these Cheese and Zatar Sticks showed up in my search.  I just got Zatar to try out and I was itching to open it.  I couldn't not make these sticks. 


The dough came together easily and quickly. My little one helped do the twisting before we popped the trays into the oven. These were a great snack to have on hand but I will definitely be saving this recipe for the holidays. They would make a great appetizer for sharing.  

It was such fun seeing all these new recipes and Middle Eastern spice combinations through Chef in Disguise. 

Cheese and Zatar Sticks

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus rise time
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: bake bread
Ingredients (Makes 24 plus sticks)
  • 2 ¼ cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons yeast
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 130 grams Nabulsi cheese grated
  • 150 ml warm milk
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons Zatar
Instructions
Proof the yeast by mixing it with the sugar and warm milk, set aside for 10 minutes.

In a bowl place the flour and salt, add the olive oil and rub it into the flour with your finger tips.

Add the Zatar and grated cheese, toss to combine.

Add the yeast/ milk mixture and the vinegar and knead , until the dough comes together into a smooth ball.

Cover and leave in a warm place till it doubles.

Roll out the dough and then cut it into strips using a pizza cutter.

Then you can shape the strips by rolling them into sticks, coiling them or twisting in two opposite directions to give them a twisty look.

Bake in a 400 degree oven on the middle rack till the bottoms are golden brown, about 15 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack then store in an airtight container.
Powered by Recipage



10 comments:

  1. I love zatar seasoning! I've only cooked with it once (from a monthly spice box subscription) and I need to buy more so I can make these

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fan of za'tar here.... Love it!

    You did a great job with the bread sticks - I should really make this kind of concoction more often for parties, for some reason I always go for focaccia, but it would be nice to shake things up and offer a batch of these

    Have a great Reveal Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely need to try these! They look and sound delicious, and I just happen to have some za'tar in my house begging for a good recipe! Fantastic choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew you had Sawson's blog as soon as I saw your pic in the link up. These sticks look fantastic. Great pick for SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love Zatar seasoning. It makes even the most boring cracker super exciting. Wonderful SRC post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a BIG fan of Za'atar and these bread sticks looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the kind words. I am really glad you enjoyed the recipe . My kids love helping with this one as well

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous. I love zatar and I cannot wait to make a batch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Breadsticks are welcome at ANY meal! Great SRC recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...