Monday, February 23, 2015

Pis­ta­chio Dark Choco­late Tof­fee {SRC}


I am kind of sad that it is time for the February Secret Recipe Club posting. I am taking next month off with the pending arrival of our baby.  I look forward to each new assignment and having a month without a posting will be weird. Of course if baby Morris makes her appearance as planned I am sure I will have other distractions. 





If you didn't know the Secret Recipe club is a group of bloggers that each month are assigned a "secret" blog. We then pick and make a recipe for the monthly posting.   This month I had Nicole of Hapa-tite.  If you were wondering about the blog name, I was, Nicole gave a nice definition that really sums up her blog.





ha•pa (hä’pä) adj. 1. Slang. Of mixed racial her­itage with par­tial roots in Asian and/or Pacific Islander ances­try. n. 2.Slang. A per­son of such ancestry.


Hapa-tite is a com­bi­na­tion of two words: hapa and appetite. I think that it encom­passes my appetite for all things food-related in life: restau­rants, recipes, o-bento, cook­books, tea, and cock­tails (as well as web-design and blogging).





There are many interesting posts and you are in for a treat if you like teas and cocktails. I am not a huge drinker and cocktails aren't really look well upon for a 9 month pregnant lady so I stuck to the food. I was eyeing the pistachio dark chocolate toffee and the banana pudding cupcakes.  Since I had just made some banana bread granola I went with the toffee. Plus I haven't made toffee before so I took a bit of an adventure. 





Pistachio Dark Chocolate Toffee

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: dessert chocolate pistachios candy
Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • ¼ cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 ounces chocolate chips, 1/2 cup
  • 1/2 cup pistachios
Instructions

Have a ungreased jelly roll pan ready near the stove.

In a saucepan, combine butter, sugar, water, and salt. Whisk constantly until it reaches 300°F. The color should be a medium caramel brown.

Pour immediately on the pan.

While the sugar layer cools, melt the choco­late in a dou­ble boiler. Once the choco­late is smooth and shiny, pour over the now-cooled sugar, using an off­set spat­ula to dis­trib­ute evenly.

While the chocolate is still melted, sprin­kle with the pistachios. Gen­tly press the nuts into the chocolate.

Let toffee stand 2-3 hours at room temperature or chill 30 minutes until firm.

Using a knife, break into bite-size pieces. Package in small bags for gifts or a tin for yourself.
Powered by Recipage






17 comments:

  1. We'll see you after the delivery and for now, this is a FABULOUS recipe to wave a short goodbye with! Great SRC pick! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear baby is here!! This is a wonderful looking toffee recipe - I've never tried a homemade version before, I am definitely saving this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be sad not to have you around next month, but it is for a fantastic, happy reason! You will be back soon...

    I love your choice for this month's assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! I took off the month after my son was born and I missed it terribly. But, you will be happily distracted and even more excited to come back in April. Enjoy it.
    Your toffee is stunning, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks SO good! I've never tried making toffee either but I absolutely love it - maybe it's time to give it a try? =) And YAY for Baby arriving soon - I'm so excited for y'all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious and how exciting that the baby is arriving soon. Can't wait until you are ready to introduce us to him/her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks absolutely delicious. I've seen this recipe with walnuts, pecans and almonds but not pistachios. must try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband loves, loves, LOVES toffee, and I know that he would adore this recipe. I can't wait to give it a try. Great pick this month. Best of luck with the arrival of your new baby!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there some way you can write and save a blog post for next month? Maybe they can do your group early and just have everyone save their posts until it's the right time to post?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks wonderful! Enjoy next month with baby! My due date was March 13, but my daughter decided to surprise us a month early and was born last week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out beautifully!! I used to make brittle, but it's been years. Must try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by and making my toffee~ it's one of my favorite recipes. Congrats on the upcoming addition to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the new addition to your family about to enter the world. Thanks for the explanation of Hapatite's blog name! I love the look of the recipe you chose!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pre congrats on the arrival of your new baby! That's super exciting!
    This toffee also looks fabulous! The pistachios sound like a great addition to balance out the sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your nearly-here baby! And good job on your first toffee adventure. Wonderful SRC pick this month! Sorry it took me so long to get here to comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...