Sunday, February 3, 2013

freezer case diet


I am still struggling coming off of the holiday eating gluten. I like to cook. I love to bake. 

For the most part I incorporate healthy ingredients into the things we make. I cut back on the unhealthy ingredients.  However, a cookie is still a cookie. A brownie is still a brownie.  More importantly, if a cookie or brownie is in front of me, I am going to eat it. I am also going to eat the remaining cookies and brownies.  One cookie now becomes two or three or four.  You get the drift.

Dinners are the same way. When Mr. J and I whip up a dinner I am going to be eating more than my fair share.  Portion control is key and something I am working on. 

Last week when Mr. J was gone all week I decided to take the first step in cutting back. I grabbed a bunch of lean cuisine meals to feed me. 



They have a new collection of Chef's Pick recipes that have some more refined flavors and ingredients.  My favorites so far have been the steak tips with portabello mushrooms and the ranchero beef with sweet potatoes.



I like these meals for a few reasons.
  • Flavor - these meals were good. I didn't feel like I was missing out on enjoying a meal. I ate them because they tasted good.
  • Ease - they are quick to prepare.  4-5 minutes in the microwave and you are done. 
  • Variety - I had several different meals to pick from for the week. No repeats. They weren't all pasta dishes either. There was meat and it tasted like meat.
  • Portion - yes, you could make 3 meals at once but that would be silly. One meal with clear nutrition facts on the box making it easy to judge what I was eating.
  • Satisfying - Some of the amounts did seem small but I was satisfied with the meals. When I ate them with lunch I added a fruit. With dinner I added a side salad and fruit to round out the dish.
I am not going to continue eating these every day for the next month I like cooking too much to take that step but I will have them every so often to help me stay on track with portions. It won't feel like a missing out though because these are very tasty.

I will also have some in the freezer for those days I am in too much of a rush to make anything for lunch or dinner.

Disclosure: I have partnered with Lean Cuisine through DailyBuzz Food to help promote their new line of Chef's Pick products. I have been compensated for my time commitment to work with this product. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments. Thank you Lean Cuisine!

2 comments:

  1. Portion control is definitely hard when you're eating with your partner, my boyfriend is a big eater and unfortunately I'm totally able to match him ;)

    Anyway, I'm working on a new recipe search engine called spoonacular, and we're developing some useful tools for food bloggers to go along with it. One tool is an ingredient visualizer that automatically turns standard ingredient lists into visual lists with high-quality images for your blog :) We're not up yet, but please check out our Kickstarter campaign in the meantime:

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2144869982/spoonacular-making-the-web-a-tastier-place/

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mother in Law loves Lean Cuisines. I must ask her if she has tried this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...