Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Pioneer Woman's Chicken Enchiladas



We made a special treat last week and it was a feast.  Mr. J and I always struggle with tortillas. I like flour. He likes corn.  When you buy corn tortillas, at least for us, you get a ton. They end up getting stale and we have to throw them out.  Wasting food really bothers me.  Even more, I just don't care for the taste.  So occasionally I get them as a treat for Mr. J but most of the time we end up with flour.



Well the other day I was watching Pioneer Woman on the Food Network.  This NEVER happens.  Our Saturday mornings are busy. It is rare I watch any TV let alone a show I actually want to watch.  So I was all excited to see that Pioneer Woman was on and I could plop down on the couch and watch the remaining portion.  She was making these chicken enchiladas.  


My go to enchiladas involve ground turkey and  black beans, flour tortillas. Ree's were chicken and corn tortillas.  I wasn't 100% sold on the corn tortillas for all the reasons stated above but I thought the enchiladas looked so delicious.  I figured I would just go for it and we made a massive dish of chicken enchiladas.



I am glad we did because they tasted just as delicious as they looked on TV.  Love it when that happens. We still have a lot of corn tortillas. Mr. J better get on that soon because I think Miss O picked up my distaste for corn tortillas. She wasn't a fan of the enchiladas.



Pioneer Woman's Chicken Enchiladas

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: bake entree chicken Cinco de Mayo Mexican
Ingredients (serves 6)
  • 10 to 12 corn tortillas
  • 6 Tablespoon taco seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • Three 15-ounce cans enchilada sauce (prefer red)
  • 3 cups grated Cheddar Jack cheese, plus more if needed
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

One at a time, hold the tortillas over the stove top burner (heated to medium heat) to brown slightly, about 30 seconds per side. Set the warmed tortillas aside.

In a bowl, mix together the taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts with the spice mix.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook the chicken on both sides until done in the middle and the juices run clear, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Set aside on a plate to cool, then shred finely with a fork.

Throw the onions into the same skillet, stir them around and cook until deep golden brown and caramelized, 4 to 5 minutes; set them aside on a plate.

Pour the enchilada sauce into the skillet and reduce the heat to low, allowing it to warm through.

To assemble the enchiladas: Pour 2 cups of the sauce into a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish and leave the rest in the skillet. Dip a tortilla into the sauce in the skillet, then lay it on a baking sheet or plate. Sprinkle some cheese down the middle, followed by some chicken and finally, some of the caramelized onions. Roll it up tightly, then place it seam-side down in the casserole dish. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas. Pour the rest of the sauce over the enchiladas, then sprinkle on the rest of the cheese. 

Bake until hot and bubbly, 30 minutes. Let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Serve the enchiladas topped with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of diced tomatoes, a sprinkling of cilantro and a wedge of lime.
Powered by Recipage

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...