Thursday, September 29, 2011
There are a few things that to me scream home, mom, and comfort. One of them is lasagna. I had to go to Maine unexpectedly last weekend and my one request was homemade meals. Between traveling for work and our trip to Florida I had very little time to run to the grocery store let alone make a decent meal. I wanted my mom to cook for me. She certainly came through with that request with this great lasagna our first night in town. She makes a few versions but this was a simple, basic, no frills type. It was delicious.
1lb boxed lasagna noodles
1 24oz can of tomato sauce
1 12 oz container of ricotta
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
8 oz mozzarella cheese
1. Cook lasagna noodles according to box.
2. In a medium bowl, mix ricotta, egg, Italian seasoning, garlic, and Parmesan cheese together. Set aside.
3. In a 9x12 baking dish, spoon a layer of tomato sauce on the bottom. Then layer 4 of the cooked noodles across the bottom of the pan, overlapping slightly. Add 1/3 of the ricotta mixture and spread evenly across the pasta. Top with sauce.
4. Continue layering the remaining ingredients till the dish is full.
5. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and then remove foil. Top with mozzarella cheese. Turn oven to broil and brown the cheese.
6. Once browned, remove from oven and let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
This can be made a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator. You can easily add any veggies to the layering process. Fresh spinach or roasted squash and broccoli are two of my favorites.
Finish off with a bottle of Italian wine and call it a night. Thanks Mom! It was enjoyed by all. I kind of wish you could cook for me every night.