Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chicken Fajitas and WIAW

Wednesday is here and I am off to the middle of nowhere New York.  Not really no where, a very cute town but there is nothing around it.  And it takes 5 hours to get there from my humble home in Connecticut.

I am not sure what my meals will entail but here is a snapshot of my eats for Tuesday.  This month's What I Ate Wednesday theme is Summer Staples.

I don't know about summer staples but my every day staple is a big mug of coffee. This is my first of two and was done before 6:20am. 


I have been going to the gym in the morning this week.  Three days down, three days good.  Once I am out the door I thoroughly enjoy myself. I easily get my run in, no day to tired me out beforehand, and I have all evening to do as I please. Mr. J likes this change up too.  It means three things for him...ESPN in the morning, wicked hot showers for as long as he wants, and no making dinner.  For him it is a win, win, win situation.


Although I have time to grab a bite to eat before leaving home even with the gym trip this day I made some overnight oats.  Leftover peanut butter jar with 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 teaspoon chia seeds and 1/2 cup milk.  Leave in fridge overnight.


The thought is to eat this cold but I think that is super gross. I tried it once and never again. I always heat mine up in the microwave for about 2 minutes with some additional milk or water.  You have to watch closely though. My always explode.


Lunch is a sandwich.  You cannot get more summery than this.  I had one two days in a row. The top is triple creme cheese from Whole Foods, with ham, spicy mustard, fresh tomatoes and spinach.

The one below is just cheese and tomatoes.

Give me good bread and good cheese and I am one happy gal.


Dinner was chicken fajitas.  Peppers are so glorious right now.  These are local Connecticut grown from the grocery stores. 


We had plenty of toppings including my favorite avocado. I could eat plain slices of avocado every day. Love it!


We ended up delaying having this for dinner by one day because the avocado wasn't quite ripe enough.  We had prepared everything in advance though and since every thing was cut up the meal took very little time to come together.


Chicken Fajitas

by Emily Morris, Adapted from Food and Wine
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: saute entree Mexican







Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 1 teaspoon pure chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 whole skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch strips
  • 1 green bell pepper—cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
  • 1 red pepper—cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
  • 8 flour tortillas, warmed in the microwave
  • Shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, salsa and sour cream, for serving
Instructions
In a resealable plastic bag, combine the chili powder with the salt, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cornstarch, water and 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the chicken, bell pepper and onion, seal and knead gently to coat. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet until shimmering. Empty the contents of the bag into the skillet and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice.

Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a large bowl and serve with the warmed tortillas, lettuce, cheese, salsa, sour cream and lime wedges.
Powered by Recipage


13 comments:

  1. the chicken fajitas look amazing!! Love that you added avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could eat like that every day! The coffee, avocado, peaches, tomatoes, cheese, everything. (I'd even go to the gym.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn’t agree more about the avocado, yum. I eat fresh slices of avocado on everything. And by themselves. Such a summer staple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel better when I get up early and get a workout in too. And a morning cup of coffee :) Love your mug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Classic Anthropologie. This was a birthday present; I longed for it all year long.

      Delete
  5. Those fajitas look great! Safe travels to New York :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chicken fajitas. Like more than life itself. I also love doing steak ones. Basically I just like fajitas. Of any kind. lol.

    Love that you're hitting the gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big fan of foods that you can apply a toppings bar to :)

      Delete
  7. This is the 2nd time I've heard of using a leftover pb jar for oatmeal...I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm drooling over your sandwiches with the triple creme cheese!!! And your fajitas look amazing, too~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats my friend, I have awarded you and your awesome blog the Versatile Blogger Award :D
    Check it out here: http://gobakeyourself.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/wishing-for-spring/

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  10. I the same with avacado, I could, and WANT to eat it everyday! Thanks for sharing your eats :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...