Wednesday, May 29, 2013

memorial day weekend eats for WIAW

It feels like Tuesday but really it is Wednesday.  Don't you love short weeks? I do.

Yesterday was all sorts of ups and downs at work.  Thankfully it ended on an up otherwise I would be rather cranky writing this post.

Mr. J and I stayed home this past holiday weekend and had all sorts of good eats.  Too many good eats according to my now snug pants.


One morning we had breakfast at a little place right down the road. The food is so good and reasonably priced.  I debated between the egg sandwich and an omelet. I ended up with the omelet filled with goat cheese, sausage,and asparagus. Yum, yum. 



Lunch was hot dogs, cause, well sometimes you need a good dog. I toasted the buns a bit too much. I swear our toaster oven goes from nothing to burnt in about 30 seconds. And you have to realize that those 30 seconds never happen when you are standing there.




I made up for it though with this special sweet and spicy corn relish topping. The name says it all. There are jalapeno pieces and crushed red peppers for the bite of spicy but then the dressing has honey.  You truly get a some sweet and spice in every bite.




Sweet and Spicy Corn Relish

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: raw side vegetarian corn
Ingredients (serves 6)
  • 3 ears of corn, or 1 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 green pepper, diced
  • 1/4 cup onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup tomatoes, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
Instructions
In a medium bowl whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, cumin, salt, and red pepper flakes.

Add in corn, green pepper, onion and tomato. Toss lightly together.
Cover and set aside till ready to serve.

May be made up to one day in advance and stored, refrigerated, in an air tight container.
Powered by Recipage



Other meals included a Friday night out.  Nothing like a strong cocktail and salad to end the week and start a long weekend.


Another sandwich for lunch with a chicken parmesan sandwich and salad. You cannot tell from the photo but there is all sorts of chicken, cheese and sauce stuffed into that roll.


Finally we had burgers.  I called these the 1,000 calorie burgers.  I thought it was a joke until I actually started thinking about what was in it. 1,000 calories is probably a reasonable estimate. Scary!

The burger is amazing and was layered as follows:
Sauted onions and green peppers.
Beef patty.
Fontina cheese.
Fried egg. 
Stuffed between a sesame seed bun. 

They totally need a new name.  I would like to call it the Man's Burger.  Somehow the eggness screams more man than woman to me. It was my first egg burger. 

Have you ever had an egg on a burger?

2 comments:

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...