Monday, October 26, 2015

Acorn Squash, Black Bean and Spinach Quesadilla #secretrecipeclub



Since I started back at work in June I have been working from home on Wednesdays. I am pretty against merging the lines between work and home. I have always tried to keep work, at least the act of doing work, at the office. However, I have come to realize there are some benefits from having a home office. Mainly I don't shower on Wednesdays. Is that too much information?  The extra time from not having to get ready in the morning and drive to work is amazing. Mr. J takes Miss O to daycare and I have a solid 20 minutes to do laundry, wash dishes, brush my teeth. I am still rushing but for whatever reason it is not stressful.



Another reason working from home as been nice is my lunch time. I can go see Miss O at day care and have a hot lunch. When I am at the office I have to race to see Miss O and then end up stuffing my face in front of the computer. It may or may not be hot. And the hotness is not dependent on whether the said food should be hot. Most of the time I just don't have the time to wait for it to microwave. 


This month for the Secret Recipe Club I had Our Good Life by Terri.  We have been eating a lot of butternut squash lately after a surprise delivery of Fall garden treats from the In-Laws. I love butternut squash plain and simple but am always looking for ways to jazz it up from Mr. J. When I saw this quesadilla recipe I knew we would both love it.  Plus it was super easy to throw together during one of my stay at home lunches.

Although I went savory and healthy Terri had a ton of other recipes, mainly sweets that I want to check out as well: Caramel Cashew Cookies, Pull Apart Pizza, and Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate M&Ms


Acorn Squash, Black Bean and Spinach Quesadilla

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5-10 minutes
Keywords: saute entree vegetarian black beans spinach squash Mexican fall
Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 1 c small dice cooked acorn squash
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 t cumin, ground
  • 1/4 t cayenne
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed
  • 1 bunch spinach, destemmed and chopped
  • 4 medium flour tortillas
  • 6 oz monterey jack cheese
  • lime wedges
  • your favorite salsa
Instructions
Line a cookie sheet with nonstick foil. Preheat oven to broil. Heat the olive oil and garlic in skillet over medium heat. Add spices and stir for 30 seconds. Add the beans and 3 T water until hot, then add chopped spinach. Cook for about one minute, or until spinach wilts.

Place the tortillas on the cookie sheet. Place 1/4 c acorn squash, 1/4 of the bean mixture, and cheese. Fold over the tortilla to cover the filling. 

Broil until the top is golden brown, about two minutes. Serve with salsa and lime wedge.

Powered by Recipage


An InLinkz Link-up

14 comments:

  1. OH yessss please - these look amazing! GREAT recipe for SRC reveal day! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quesadillas are favorites here.... so many variations, and yours definitely appealed to me...

    great choice for your assignment, my mouth is watering and it's not even lunch time yet!

    Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look like the perfect fall quesdaillas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great recipe to pull! I hope you liked it, it is a favorite of my husbands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! I cannot wait to make some of the other recipes I tagged from your blog.

      Delete
  5. This sounds perfect and would be a great Meatless Monday meal as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to put squash in a quesadilla!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious!! I love quesadillas that have so much goodness oozing out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite things to make are quesadillas. These look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks wonderful for a vegetarian lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a dang quesadilla I want to try! This looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've done a similar quesadilla with sweet potato before, so I know you picked a good recipe! Happy Reveal Day (a day late).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, these quesadillas look awesome! I almost always make cheese or chicken quesadillas, and I forget to experiment with other fillings. This combination of flavors and textures sounds delicious. Great choice this month!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such an interesting quesadilla! Perfect pick for autumn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...