Friday, June 10, 2016

Chocolate Banana Muffins



I had a hankering for a chocolate muffin last week.  It wasn't quite a brownie craving but something similar. I did some hunting and tagged a recipe online that looked good.  Apparently I wasn't paying much attention to the ingredient list when I saved it because in my head it had bananas.  I bought extra bananas intending to use some for these muffins only to see when it was time to make them there was no bananas in the recipe. I know I have been pretty busy the last few weeks but seriously.  I was so convinced these muffins were banana chocolate. 



I debated about just making banana bread but we had some just the other week. Thus I tweaked the original recipe to include bananas.  So in a very round about way I ended up with the chocolate banana muffins I always thought I would be making. 



I made these with the intent of making them sweet and chocolaty but also healthy enough to send off with Miss O for an easy to pack snack.  The result is exactly what I wanted. A sweet, chocolate muffin without being super rich or sugary.  I was comfortable giving one to Miss O and didn't feel guilty when I ate two at once.   



Chocolate Banana Muffins

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast banana chocolate
Ingredients (12 muffins)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 ripened banana, mushed
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 cup Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, plus a few more for sprinkling on top
Instructions
Preheat oven to 425°F Spray 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray. Do not use liners.

In a large bowl, whisk the applesauce, banana, sugar, honey, egg, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract until smooth.

Sift the flours, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together. Slowly stir in the wet ingredients, being careful not to over mix. 

Fold in the mini chocolate chips. The batter will be a little chunky.

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups - fill them all the way to the top. 

Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 375°F. Bake for an additional 13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes in the muffin pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool until ready to eat.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...