Tuesday, September 9, 2014

What I have been reading lately...

I haven't done a book review is such a long time. I did take a break from reading but in the last few weeks I got a roll again. 

The Vacationers by Emma Straub is a book I heard about first from another blogger as a read for the summer. I am always on the look out for a new book so it was added to my list of future reads. 

The novel is about a family trip to the Balearic island of Mallorca.  The mother and father of the family are celebrating their thirty fifth wedding anniversary. Their youngest daughter is about to go to college. Their son, whom they rarely see, is flying in with his long term girlfriend. Also along for the trip is a good family friend. 

A private house on an island sounds like an ideal spot for a vacation. However, throughout the book family secrets slip out showing that people are not always what they seem to the outside world or even within their own families.  

The book is told through different perspectives as the events of the two week trip transpire.  At times you wonder what will come next or if everyone will make it to the end.  The family shows how they can support or tear down each other regardless of the amount of love.  

I thought this would be a more fun loving book as I got started but it was really a very real life kind of story that got to the not so happy go lucky side of families.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...