Monday, June 29, 2015

Grandma Jean's Rhubarb Custard Pie



How is it the end of June already? Seriously I blinked and the month was over. I am getting all nostalgic because it was almost exactly to this date that I found out we were expecting little Miss O. And now here we are a year later and I can barely remember what life was like before baby.  


This time of year I always get excited for rhubarb. It's not my favorite fruit but it surely symbolizes the start of summer. I tend to make one or two rhubarb desserts before the season ends.  Normally I pair rhubarb with strawberries. The strawberries really cut the tartness of the rhubarb.  In our family though my mom always makes this pie for my dad. It is one of his favorites, something my grandmother used to make for him. 


Over the years my mom has tried to perfect the semi recipe she was given to make it match my dad's memory of the pie. I think he would agree that it is pretty close nowadays. This was my first attempt at making this family recipe. Since I never had the original I am not sure how mine compares to how my grandma's version turned out but we thought it was pretty darn tasty. Next time I will have to have my dad sample it for approval. 


Grandma Jean's Rhubarb Custard Pie

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert rhubarb pie spring summer
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
  • 1 store bought pie crust or your favorite pie crust recipe
  • 4 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces (enough to fill pie crust to top)
  • 1 cup sugar (can use less if you prefer a tart pie)
  • 5 eggs
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small deep pie plate put pie crust and crimp edges. Set aside.

Mix the chopped rhubarb and sugar together in a bowl. Set aside.

With a hand mixer or stand mixer vigorously beat eggs until completely combined.

Put the rhubarb/sugar mixture and all juices in the pie crust. Pour eggs on top of rhubarb.  The eggs should just to reach the top of the fruit but not cover it. Move the rhubarb around a little just the coat the pieces on top. If there is not enough eggs add one at a time more until the mixture reaches the top.

Bake in the preheated oven at 350 degrees for about an hour or until the center sets well. There should be no wiggling. You can also use a knife in the center to make sure it is not too wet.

Cool and then refrigerate. You can serve warm or cool depending on your preference.
Powered by Recipage

4 comments:

  1. This looks great. I've never seen rhubarb in my area. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rhubarb pie! The addition of the custard is a really unique twist. Grandma's recipes are always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore my mom's rhubarb pie. I think I crave it just because I never get to eat it anymore---Bill is not a rhubarb fan and I can't think of a rational excuse for me to make a whole pie just for me :) Hope you have a terrific 4th! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know.. summer is just whizzing by! The kids only got off for summer break 2 weeks ago and it's going to be back to school time before I know it!

    This is a lovely family recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...