Friday, June 26, 2015

Salted Caramel Rice Crispy Bars

Hello Friday! I am so completely ready for the weekend. I don't know if it was being by myself two mornings this week, the weather, or whatnot but this week lasted so long. It is never a good sign when Tuesday feels like a Friday. The last two nights Mr. J and I crashed on the couch by 8 pm. Just so you know that is shortly after Miss O's bedtime. 



I have been working hard at cutting down on my sugar intake. After Miss O was born I had pretty intense sugar cravings. And I completely gave into every. single. one. I totally justified it with the fact that I just had a baby and some of the time they were in the form of lactation cookies. It was really for the baby, right?

Well soon I wanted a sweet treat after each meal. And sometimes as early as 9 am. There is nothing like having a cookie for your second breakfast. Slowly I am cutting back but I splurged the other week with these salted caramel rice crispy bars. I brought them to a potluck at work so we wouldn't be faced with all this goodness by ourselves. A good thing too because they were simply irresistible. 

The treats are pretty much the same recipe as the original but you throw in some salted caramel. 

Most genius idea ever! 

I had some homemade on hand but you can easily use store bought too. Add some chocolate on top and you have some divine treats. 



Salted Caramel Rice Crispy Treats
by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: no bake dessert chocolate caramel bar
Ingredients (24 bars)
    For the Rice Crispy Treats:
    • 1 (10 oz.) bag marshmallows
    • 2 Tablespoons butter
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 6 cups Popped Rice cereal
    • 3/4 cup caramel sauce
    For the Chocolate Ganache Topping:
    • 3/4 cup heavy cream
    • 2 cups chocolate chips
    • flaked salt for garnish
    Instructions
    For the Rice Crispy Treats:
    In a large pot set to medium heat, melt marshmallows, butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth and add salted caramel.

    Stir in Rice cereal until well combined.

    Pour mixture into a lined and greased 13x9 pan. Flatten using a buttered rubber spatula. Chill pan in refrigerator while you make the ganache.

    For Chocolate Ganache Topping:
    In a small pot over medium heat, heat cream until almost boiling.

    Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate until smooth.

    Let ganache cool for 10 minutes then pour over Rice Crispy treats. Spread across pan to distribute evenly.

    Let set for 5 minutes then sprinkle with salt.
    Powered by Recipage

    2 comments:

    1. I think I love you. These look amazing!

      ReplyDelete
    2. sugar is sooo addictive...but sooo good :P

      Salted caramel is my bestie and I looove how you put that spin on these krispie treats!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

    You might also like reading:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...