Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Baked Corn Side Dish

There are a few staples in my pantry that are from Trader Joe's.  I refuse to buy certain products anywhere else.  They are cheaper and of better quality at Trader Joe's, hands down.  Luckily for the past 5 years I have not lived too far away from TJs; however, I have never really lived close to one now.  On a good traffic day it is about 20 minutes away.  Depending on your situation a 20 minute drive could be close or far.  For me, this is extremely far.  I grew up in rural Maine and the CLOSEST grocery store was about 15 minutes away.  Thus but those standards, 20 minutes is nothing.  I hate driving though so a 5 minute trip is eternity.    All that being said, for the last two weeks, I drove myself the 20 minutes to TJ's.   I only blame myself for the second trip; clearly I wasn't prepared the first time around. 

We get our coffee at TJ's.  I forgot it on the first trip, so a week later I was scratching the bottom of the container.  Me with no coffee in the morning is not a good thing.  The second trip was non-negotiable. On this little expedition though I spotted this. 


Genius idea! I love the frozen items at TJ's. So much variety, such good prices!  But back to the corn, where was this during my two years of braces when corn on the cob was banished from my diet?


I remembered something that looked absolutely amazing from Jenna. I knew this was how I wanted to try out my corn.

Southwestern Corn Bake

I ran out of red peppers, so I used green. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal till the end product.  Make sure you check out Jenna's photos, then mine.  You will understand.


Chop up the peppers and onions.


Saute in a pan with butter.

Blend 1/2 of veggie mixture in blender till smooth.


Add back to the pan with other 1/2 of veggie mixture

Bake for 40 minutes

Clearly mine turned out a bit more green than need be.  It tasted delicious though.  A little sweet, kind of like corn bread not quite cooked all of the way through, melt in your mouth, corn wonderfulness!  Think of it as a spoon bread.


Served with some jerk chicken. 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    I love TJ's too - there are some products that I won't buy anywhere else. :)

    Also, I totally remember having braces and not eating things like corn. Glad those days are over for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! that looks good! I still have half a bag left. gotta figure out a new recipe for the rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! So depressed I don't have a Trader Joe's near by. The closest is 3 hours away :

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I need to find a Trader Joes. This side dish is a great way to amp up corn. Nice flavors here with the coconut milk and maple syrup in this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...