Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bluebuerry Banana Yogurt Muffins

After making this recipe I realized I have been very, very lax about posting new recipes to my recipe page.  To put it simply, I haven't updated in about 3 months.  YIKES!  A lot of baking and cooking has been going on since then so the mission this week is to do some major updates.  Hopefully, I will stay on the ball. 


I was on the baking train this weekend and had a blast playing in the kitchen.  It has been a long time since I have made muffins.  With all the lovely berries out in the stores, I realized I had a fridge full of fruit to be used.  It pains me a bit to add my favorite berries to baked goods.  I think they are best just plain.  I can easily finish off a container in one sitting.  However, I do like fruit in bake goods and a favorite is blueberry muffins.

Blueberry Banana Yogurt Muffins
Adapted from Stonyfield Farm


Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup blueberries
1 mashed banana
2 eggs
1 cup yogurt (Banilla flavored)*
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla

* You can use Vanilla or Plain yogurt.  I reduced the sugar amount to 1/4 cup from 1/2 cup when using flavored since the yogurt itself is so sweet.



Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine the flours, sugar, and baking soda.  Then  add blueberries. 

Stir in mashed banana until it just comes together.  Be careful not to crush the blueberries.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, butter and vanilla.

Gradually stir dry ingredients into wet.

Divide batter evenly in a 12-cup muffin tin that has been greased.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.


The banana and yogurt give just a hint of banana flavor.  The big blueberries are star of the show. I really need to start making muffins more often. They make mornings so much easier. 



17 comments:

  1. I love using yogurt in muffins. Makes them fluffy and light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing. I love the combination of banana and blueberry. I usually use buttermilk in my muffins, but I just recently used yogurt in a muffin recipe. It was really good. I can't wait to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these were soooo good! I want more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really good! Clever to add yogurt to the muffins. I like to add low-fat buttermilk for that "tang" you get. I agree with you & berries, but sometimes...ya gotta bake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, healthy muffin. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love muffins, but I have never make yogurt muffins. These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll bet these are really moist! Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whole wheat flour is great in a banana muffin. I bet it's almost nutty. Love the yogurt too - I have some Greek vanilla so we'll try it.

    I feel the same way about fresh fruit because I want to just eat handfuls of it instead of adding it to baked goods. But everyone always loves muffins or turnovers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always forget to update my recipe page too, and to add a link for the printable version..... but it's easy to forget when there are scrumptious muffins like these to devour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious! I will have to try these for sure. Very nice blog you have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, can inhale a container of berries in no time. But, I love them in baked goods, too...so I always buy two containers! :)

    Love the muffins... especially the addition of yogurt...that makes them so nice and moist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your muffins make me want to run to the kitchen and bake a batch. Love blueberries and bananas in muffins. Thanks for having participated in June's YBR:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how I love blueberry muffins! Deliciousness! Thanks for sharing! Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are quite possibly the most gorgeous blueberry muffin riffs I have ever witnessed!..The color..the HEIGHT..the photography. They scream MAKE ME for a relaxed autumn brunchy weekend!..Thank you!

    P.S....Any pointers for that incredible height??...Special pan..oven temp?..Full fat yogurt (or Greek?)..I may have to go the greek route as we do not have the Banilla brand in France..or perhaps I could use fromage blanc (plain or vanilla?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't stir the batter too much - enough to mix it all together but that's all. I would use vanilla as the Banilla flavor I used is sweetened. You could you plain but you might think about adding a bit more sugar.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...