Thursday, February 27, 2014

Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya {Pass the Cook Book}


It is another month and another Pass the Cook Book Club posting. This month's cookbook was one that was new to me. Cooking Up a Storm is a compilation of Cajun style recipes put together to help remember family recipes lost when Hurricane Katrina hi in 2005.


The three choices for the month were chicken and sausage jambalaya, crawfish in saffron cream, and bananas foster pie. I ended up making the chicken and sausage jambalaya.  It was a tough call though. I was too busy to hunt around for the crawfish in Connecticut but this recipe looked fantastic. I already have plans for making the bananas foster pie too.


The jambalaya turned out delicious.  It came together quickly on a Saturday afternoon and feed us through the weekend. I lost the jar of tomato paste I bought for the recipe and ended up using a can of diced tomatoes.  I think this made my version a bit less rich on the whole tomato flavor.

We have a local Cajun restaurant that adds red beans in their jambalaya so we added a can of those as well as a fresh jalapeno to spice things up a bit. 


As always I had so much fun this month learning about a new cookbook and picking out a recipe.  If you want to become a part of the cookbook club read this post and click for the Facebook group. Also check out all of the other blogger's posts below.



Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: saute entree chicken Cajun
Ingredients (serves 8)
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, about 1 lbs total, cut into 1” cubes
  • 1 ½ tsp Cajun seasoning
  • ½ lbs smoked sausage or kielbasa, like andouille, sliced ¼” thick
  • 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
  • 1 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1 jalapeno, sliced thinly
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 Tbsp chopped green onions, greens only
  • 1 ½ cups long grain rice
Instructions
Heat the oil in a large heavy pot, such as a Dutch oven.

Season the chicken with Cajun seasoning. Add the chicken to the pot and cook, stirring, over medium heat until evenly brown, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.

Add the onions and peppers and cook, stirring, until softened and golden, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the water, diced tomatoes, parsley, and green onions. Stir and bring to a boil.

Add the rice, cover the pot, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid, 15 to 20 minutes. Do not stir! Fluff the mixture with fork before serving.
Powered by Recipage



7 comments:

  1. It looks like confetti! Par-tay time...perfect for Mardi Gras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I love that you added beans. My boyfriend hates beans, so I feel less guilty when I sneak them into a big dish like this (note that Im still making him pick around them ;) ). Your jambalaya looks so bright and delicious - even in the cold Connecticut winter. Loved your post this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This jambalaya came out beautifully! I like the additions that you made to it, all the colors are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yours is so colorful! Looks even more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of adding beans to the jambalaya and will plan on trying that next time I make it. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This loooks so delicious! I was going to make it and not do the sausage since I don't eat pork but I thought that would take away from the essence. Love that you spiced it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is one wonderful pot of yumminess. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...