Friday, February 18, 2011

Brownie delights

I found a cookbook I knew I had but somehow forgot about. 

Thanks Amazon for the fabulous picture.

I got this as a gift from my dad on a trip to Boston when I was still in high school.  We were at a famous bookstore by Harvard.  Yes, I do remember in great detail eacha and every one of gifts I recieve.

On Monday morning, when I had the great idea of making brownie sundaes for Valentine's Day I pulled it out for some fabulous brownies.  I mean, you cannot really go wrong with ghirardelli right?


Ghiradelli Brownies
Adapted from The Ghiradelli Chocolate Cookbook
Ingredients:
 2 large eggs

3/4 cup granular sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Chocolate & Cocoa (Dutch processed cocoa)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour, unsifted
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Using a wooden spoon whisk together eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla.


3. In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.


4. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture.Stir until thick and glossy.


5. Add chocolate chips. Combine well.
6. Spread into a greased 8- or 9-inch square pan.


7. Bake for 20 minutes and then let cool on rack.
8. Cut into squares.
Makes 16-20 brownies.

These brownies are very rich.  Although it is not essential to use Ghiradelli cocoa powder it is important to use a high quality cocoa.  I always heard chefs on TV use this term "high quality" and thought they were a bit snotty but in reality bad cocoa makes whatever you are making not that great.  Use the good stuff!

On a side note: Jordan and I bought our plane tickets to San Fran a few weeks ago.  I cannot wait.  We were a bit disappointed though to learn that the Ghiradelli factory is not really in San Fran, just the square with the ice cream and chocolate shop.

Have you been to San Fran?  Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. YUM! Those brownies look really yummy!! Why are brownies so dang good!?!?
    I have never been to San Fran but I have heard it is one of the coolest places ever. I'm so jealous you get to go there!
    I hear they have GREAT shopping!!! xoxoxo megs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em! When are you guys going to San Fran? We MAY go Memorial weekend because my sister in law just moved out there. But it's not for sure yet, because Eli's graduation is the weekend after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, those brownies look chocolaty good. You're gonna love San Francisco. I have a sweet treat linky party on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link your brownies up. Feel free to link up any other sweets you've made this week as well. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...