Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Purely decadence


Sometimes we have breakfast for dinner because eggs are the only thing in the refrigerator.

Sometimes I don't feel like creating a whole magnificent menu for a random Wednesday.

Sometimes it is the fastest thing I can get on the table.

This meal was for none of those reasons. 

I was craving French toast the other day about two weeks ago.  Mr. J loves big breakfasts but that is normally eggs or omelettes.  He does not think that pancakes or French toast is filling enough.  Thus, I was surprised when he was excited about the idea of French toast for dinner.  We already had plans for dinner the next two nights but I made a mental note.  I was going to have French toast soon.  If Mr. J put up a fight I was going to remind him of our little conversation. 

Fast forward a few days and this recipe for Pioneer Woman's baked French toast came to my attention.  Perfect.  Make in advance, quick meal of something I truly, deeply, madly needed to have.

Cinnamon Baked French Toast

Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Taken and adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod

Ingredients:
1 loaf French Bread
8 large eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Streusel Topping:
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
Maple syrup-for serving

1. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Tear French bread into chunks, or cut into cubes, and evenly place in the pan.



2. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. Pour evenly over bread. Cover pan with saran wrap and store in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.

3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add butter pieces and cut into the dry mixture using a fork or your hands. Combine until the mixture resembles sand with a few pea sized chunks. Cover and store mixture in the refrigerator.


4. When you’re ready to bake the French toast, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove casserole from refrigerator and sprinkle crumb mixture over the top. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the French toast is set and golden brown.




5. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.
Serves 16

I didn't notice that it served 16 till after it was in the oven.  I also tried to remain in denial about how sweet this dish was actually going to be.  I cut the sugar from the original recipe hoping that would help.  However, about half way through the baking time I knew we were screwed.  It smelled like sweet cinnamon goodness.  I was in heaven.  Mr. J decided we needed some bacon to cut back on the sweetness of the dish.  Then he dumped maple syrup on his plate.  Silly boy!
We had plenty of leftovers for breakfast the next morning!  Can I tag a post with Breakfast, Dinner and Dessert all at once?


3 comments:

  1. You have me wondering...why don't I make this for dinner tonight??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good! I bought day old French bread in the cheap bakery basket for a dollar. The dry bread soaked up the eggs super fast. I think it sat for about 4 hours in the fridge before we baked it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this recipe. as a french toast lover this comes in handy when don't feel like staying in the kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

    thanks for the foodbuzz friend request. have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...