Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Chocolate Chip and Hazelnut Cookies with Sea Salt


Today was one of those days I woke up at 5 am.  This is actually a bit later than a previous 4 am wake up time.  It was raining and stormy outside. I wanted to roll back over and shut my eyes.  

Miss O must have also heard the rain because she woke up too. I am on my own for a few days and for fear of her really getting up I jumped out of bed to quickly shower and get ready for the day.  Lucky for me Miss O fell back to sleep. 

Now it is 5:30 am and I am ready to go to work. So here I am with 2 hours to kill.


My early morning wake up calls can be really productive.  Two uninterrupted hours lead to bills being paid, emails written, dishes emptied and toys put away.  Today is not one of those days.  Rain makes me lazy.


I am resting up from our busy weekend of guests, typical chores and outdoor activities.  Along with the honey roasted snack mix from yesterday's post we also had cookies. Fancy cookies with hazelnuts and sea salt. I had hazelnuts in the pantry and thought why not.  We threw them in the food processor briefly to chop them up a bit.  There were big and small pieces mixed in with all of the mini chocolate chips. The cookies were finished off with a sprinkle of sea salt.


They were so good I forgot to get mad that five people were enjoying these cookies on the couch.  I am still finding little cookie crumbs. My advice is make the cookies but don't eat them on the couch.

Dark Chocolate and Hazelnut Cookies with Sea Salt

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert chocolate hazelnuts cookie
Ingredients (18 cookies)
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1 cup roasted hazelnuts, half coarsely chopped and half finely chopped
  • sea salt
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a bowl, beat the softened butter and sugars together with an electric handheld mixer or stand mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.

Add the egg and vanilla and beat to incorporate for about 1 minute.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the mixture all at once into the butter/sugar mixture and mix until everything is thoroughly combined.

Add the chocolate chips and nuts. Mix well.

Scoop a heaping tablespoon full of dough onto the baking sheet. Repeat until the sheet is full. Make sure the dough is rounded so it bakes nicely and leaving space between each ball of dough. Then sprinkle each ball of dough with a little bit of sea salt.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies are ready when they start to get golden brown on the edges.

Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack.
Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

  1. I love these fancy cookies! Yes, I love the early morning hours,too---less distractions as long as I don't get sucked into browsing facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *gasp* I love hazelnuts! and salt on sweets! These ccc's are a dream come truuue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...