Thursday, August 22, 2013

Cheddar Swirl Breakfast Buns {Pass the Cook Book}


Hello lovelies! I have a special treat for you today with the Pass the Cook Book Club posting. Cheddar Swirl Breakfast Buns!



Each month Kita from Pass the Sushi picks a cookbook from her shelf that hasn't been used in a while.  We then pick one of three recipes to make. For August the cook book was The Smitten Kitchen by Deb Pearlman. 



I actually have this cookbook. I got it from Mr. J at Christmas. However, I haven't made any of the three recipes that Kita chose.  I really wanted to check out the s'mores cake but I couldn't see Mr. J eating more than one slice. And although I would have loved to indulge in a whole cake by myself, I was pretty sure my tummy would hate me.

  
The Cheddar Swirl Breakfast Buns also sounded fabulous and much more doable for the two of us. Now this recipe is lengthy. It was more of a weekend project than a fast throw together dish but hey that is what weekends are for right?

I made two pans of six. We baked one off and promptly finished the whole thing.  The other pan went into the freezer to have for this upcoming weekend. 


If you want to become a part of the cookbook club read this post and click for the Facebook group. Come join us in the fun!
 
Cheddar Swirl Breakfast Buns

by Emily Morris, From the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus rising time
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (serves 12)
For the Dough:
  • 3 cups All Purpose flour
  • 1 teas table salt
  • Few grinds black pepper
  • 1 tbs sugar
  • 2 ¼ teas (1 packet) instant yeast
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 tbs butter, melted, cooled to lukewarm, plus 1 tbs for brushing
For the Filling:
  • ½ cup grated white onion
  • 1 ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 2 teas fresh minced dill
  • ½ teas table salt
  • Few grinds black pepper
Instructions

Make the dough:
Combine the flour, salt, pepper, and sugar in the bottom of a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the yeast into the milk until it dissolves, then pour the yeast-milk mixture and melted butter into the flour, and mix them together with the paddle of an electric mixer.
Switch to the dough hook, and knead on low about 6 minutes, or until smooth and slightly sticky ball has formed.

Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest until doubled in size, about 2 hours. Alternatively, you could chill the dough at this point over night, up to 3 days, then bring it back to room temp and pick up where you left off.

Form the buns. Scoop the dough out of the bowl onto well-floured counter, and roll into a 12x16 rectangle. Mix filling ingredients and spread over the rectangle, leaving a ½ border at the short ends. Roll tightly and from one short end to another, making a 12” log. With a sharp serrated knife, carefully cut into 12 1” rounds.

Using parchment paper, line the bottom of two small pans, 9” rounds or 8” square, or one 9x13 baking pan, and arrange 6 rolls in each of the smaller pans or all 12 in the larger, with an even amount of space in between. Brush tops with additional melted butter, cover pans with plastic wrap, and let rise at room temp until doubled again, 2 hours. When almost doubled, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Once buns have fully doubled, bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until tops are golden and cheese is bubbling from the center. Serve immediately.
Powered by Recipage


15 comments:

  1. I saw that you're redoing your kitchen! How fun! What are the 'must-haves' from a foodies perspective?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big sink, lots of counter room, natural light, and nice appliances! We haven't worked out many of the details just yet. I am scared and excited all at once.

      Delete
  2. Weren't these Cheddar Swirl Buns awesome? I was planning on freezing the other pan, but ended up eating them all! So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The in-laws are coming over so I was able to resist and save it for them. It was difficult though. The first pan went really fast.

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh. I love these! I made the tomato shortcakes, but this is high on my to-cook list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to try the tomato shortcakes after seeing the different postings.

      Delete
  4. I plan on making these this weekend for breakfast so it's good to know it's a whole weekend project lol! I better start on Friday then! Would definitely be freezing the other pan, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. chhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesee
    *like a zombie looking for brains...but me...for cheese*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved those buns. I also made them and they were delicious. Yours looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had this recipe printed and almost made them! They look so good, I am going to have to make them no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these look incredible! I'd eat the whole pan, too. So glad I have this cookbook...I just need to crack it open and try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’d love this for dinner breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore that these are savory!!! This is my kind of breakfast treat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I can well imagine that you two finished these off promptly. I can tell you that they wouldn't last a day in my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the idea of having a batch of these in the freezer - do all the work one day and then eat them on a lazy weekend in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...