Thursday, August 8, 2013

What I am reading lately...more summer reads

I haven't posted about any books in a really long time. Funny because I have been reading up a storm. The heat wave left  me inside with no ambition to do anything. Reading was the perfect past time. Here is a list of recent reads:


I am not a huge fan of Jodi Picoult books. I cannot really describe why but they are just not for me.  However, I was in need of a book and this one was starring at me from the large display at the entrance of our town library.  The Storyteller is a about Sage Singer, a baker, struggling to find herself. She lost her mother, is estrange from her sisters, and tends to shy away from people due to facial scaring from an accident. She befriends an older gentleman at a grief group. His story about the Holocaust becomes irrily entwined with that of her grandmother. I think the baking, the relationship and feelings with food along with the history of WWII kept me fascinated throughout the story. I would definitely recommend this book.


 

Another good new read is The World We Found by Thirity UmrigarThis is a story about four friends, Armaiti, Laleh, Kavita, and Nishta, who grew up together and sought to change the world in India during their college days in the late 1970's.  They challenged authority and fought for a better world. However, as time passed they drifted apart.

Thirty years later devastating news comes that Armaiti, who moved to America, is gravely ill and wants to see the old friends she left behind. The possible reunion has all four reliving the past and analysis where their lives have gone. 


Family Pictures by Jane Green is about two woman with very different lives living on opposite coasts of the United States.  When each of their daughters meet through a mutual friend they realize their lives are more closely linked then ever could be possible. A family secret is revealed.  Each must over come they past and present lives and learn to forgive.


I just started Is This Tomorrow by Caroline Leavitt. She also wrote Pictures of You, which I loved. Here is a snipet from Amazon:

"In 1956, Ava Lark rents a house with her twelve-year-old son, Lewis, in a desirable Boston suburb. Ava is beautiful, divorced, Jewish, and a working mom. She finds her neighbors less than welcoming. Lewis yearns for his absent father, befriending the only other fatherless kids: Jimmy and Rose. One afternoon, Jimmy goes missing. The neighborhood—in the throes of Cold War paranoia—seizes the opportunity to further ostracize Ava and her son.

Years later, when Lewis and Rose reunite to untangle the final pieces of the tragic puzzle, they must decide: Should you tell the truth even if it hurts those you love, or should some secrets remain buried?"



What are you reading lately?

 

2 comments:

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...