Friday, November 21, 2014

Macaroon Blossoms

A combination of chocolate, coconut, and almond these cookies are all of the flavor of Almond Joy candy bars.



This week was full of ups and downs and I am so happy Friday is finally here.  I am happy for the weekend and happy for these cookies.  Typically I am pretty strict about no Christmas until after Thanksgiving but this year I am all about getting the shopping down early. I am about 1/3 of the way done and plan to finish it all come December 1st. All of the planning for Christmas got me in the mood for cookies. 

There are certain cookies I make every year. They are a must. But it seems each year I find more and more cookies to add to that list. I saw these cookies not too long ago on Pinterest and knew they were a must.  

Chocolate, coconut and a hint of almond.  Think Almond Joys. 

Is it just me or does coconut seem Christmas - y?


So these are the first Christmas cookies of the year. I do feel a bit guilty sneaking them in before Thanksgiving but I will have to say I was super happy to come home to a container full of these cookies each night after work.


Macaroon Blossoms

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus 1 hour of fri
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert chocolate coconut cookie
Ingredients (24 cookies)
  • ⅓ cup butter, softened
  • 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tsp almond extract
  • 1½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 5 cups flaked coconut, divided
  • 24 milk chocolate kisses
Instructions
In a bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar together on medium.
Add in egg yolk and almond extract until well combined.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix well on low.

Stir in 3 cups coconut.
Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is easier to work with.

Roll into 1-inch balls and roll in remaining coconut. Place 2 inches apart on lined baking sheets.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.

After removing from oven, immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie.

Let cookies cool on pan for 2-3 minutes or until chocolate is softened, then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely
Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

  1. I thin coconut looks sort of like snow so that's why Christmasy :P These macaroon blossoms are so unique and tastyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so perfect for the holidays, I can't stand it! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...