Tuesday, July 2, 2013

strawberry rhubarb crisp



Summer is all about fresh berries. Normally I just eat them raw and plain. I love strawberries and blueberries and raspberries. My husband however likes pie.  Pie is a lot of work.




Sunday I decided to the be nicest wife ever and make pie. Mr. J got wind of the pie plans and said he would be equally as happy with crisp. Done and done. Crisp is so much easier than pie.




Our local farm stand had rhubarb and I though I couldn't let the opportunity pass us by.  Strawberry rhubarb crisp was decided upon.




Sadly my planning did not include ice cream. We had chocolate chip and Nutella. I love Nutella but I was not feeling it with the strawberries and rhubarb.  



The chocolate chip worked fine for me though. Chocolate makes everything better. Plus it kept my dessert actually dessert. We all know that something with just fruit is definitely not dessert. Leftovers were served for breakfast.  Minus the ice cream.




Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Keywords: bake strawberry July 4th summer
Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 2 cups fresh rhubarb, 1-inch diced (4 stalks)
  • 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved, (1 quart)
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoons grated orange zest
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
For the fruit
Toss the rhubarb, strawberries, 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar and the orange zest together in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, dissolve the cornstarch in the orange juice and then mix it into the fruit. Pour the mixture into an 3-by-9-inch baking dish or a 9 inch pie plate.
For the topping
In the bowl combine the flour, the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and oatmeal.

Mix until the dry ingredients are moist and the mixture is in crumbles. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit, covering it completely, and bake for about 45 minutes. The fruit will be bubbling.

Serve warm with ice cream.
Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

  1. I make crisp over pie whenever possible...SO much easier. I wish the hubby would eat rhubarb b/c this combination looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to work with rhubarb... looking at your pictures makes me want to do it right away. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...