Monday, May 18, 2015

Honey Sandwich Bread



Being home with the baby leaves me feeling like I have no time for anything and yet here I am making bread. Getting up multiple times a night for feedings gives you lots of time to think about EVERYTHING. Some times they are crazy thoughts. Other times more logical. The other night I got to thinking about how much I hate store bought bread. I hate even more that it is expensive considering I don't even like it. 

I have made bread before. Its not like I am scared of yeast, it just is too much of a process most days let alone when you have a new born.  Then I was flipping through a cookbook where multiple recipes were for bread with a bread machine. The author used the machine to make the dough and then made whatever loaf/roll type creation she wanted. It got me thinking maybe I could do that. 



Now I am all for a good kitchen gadget but I am not one for clutter. I already feel like we have too much kitchen stuff and I wasn't about to go get something else.  Who knew if I was even going to find time to use it. 

My brother and I got my mom a bread machine for Christmas way back when we were still in high school.  She used it off and on but I had not heard of it for a good while.  Right about this time was when my mom came to visit. We were strolling through a kitchen store. I remembered the bread machine and asked if she still had it. She did and was more than willing to let us have it. She mentioned wanting a salad spinner. Oh the things you want when walking through a kitchen store. Thus the great kitchen tool exchange began. She took with her our fancy salad spinner and she brought back the bread machine on her next visit. 



Now I am still toying with recipes but so far so good. I can throw in the ingredients in as little as 5 minutes. I set our machine to dough and in 90 minutes the dough is ready for the bread pan. 

The pictures show that you need to be careful cooking the bread. I used the smaller portion of the double oven and it was too small hence the burn marks and dents on the top. Next time the bigger oven will be used. Regardless this is some of the best bread we have had for sandwiches in a good long time. 

The plan is to make one loaf a week for toast and sandwiches.  Let's see how it goes. 

Honey Sandwich Bread

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients (1 loaf)
  • 1 1/2 cup of warm water
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 cup all purpose white flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 package active dry yeast
Instructions
Add all ingredients to bread maker starting with water and ending with yeast. The yeast should go in last on top of flour and not touching any of the water.

Use dough setting to make dough. My machine takes about 90 minutes.

Lightly spray a 9X5 loaf pan. Set aside.

Once done remove dough from machine and place on a lightly floured surface. Gently shape into loaf and place in bread pan. Let rise about 30 minutes until the dough fills out the pan.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake until lightly browned and cooked through. The bread should make hallow noise when hit on the bottom.

Cool on a wire rack before storing.
Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...