Monday, January 30, 2012

Cookie Fail


Cookies normally look something like this right?  Little plump circles you just cannot wait to get your hands on...


The first pan came out something like this.  They were flat little pancakes that although smelled delicious did not bring on the "must have" feelings a typical cookies stirs within me.


See the difference?  And it was all my fault. The recipe was for peanut butter but I had the genius idea to make Nutella cookies in honor of World Nutella Day February 5th.  When must people are going to be celebrating the biggest football game of the season I am going to be licking my spoonful of Nutella.


Flourless Nutella Cookies
Adapted from 5 Ingredient Fix
Ingredients
1 cup Nutella
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mini chocolate chips
Coarse sea salt

Directions 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place racks in the upper and lower third of the oven.

In a medium bowl, mix the Nutella, sugar, egg and vanilla until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips.  Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture about 1 inch apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten the mounds with the tines of a fork, making a crosshatch pattern on the cookies. Sprinkle coarse salt on top of the cookies.

Bake about 10 minutes, switching the position of the pans halfway thorough baking. Transfer to racks to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough.



So how did the second batch come out a bit more cookie-esque? Well, whenever I have the flat cookie effect going on I add rolled oats. In this case about 3/4 cup of rolled oats did the trick to stabilize the cookie dough.


The recipe wasn't bad.  My own actions foiled these cookies.  The other day at the store there was a big sale on medium eggs.  They were cheap and I bought some.  I ALWAYS buy large eggs. I just don't understand why you would want medium or jumbo.  What tipped my thinking this time was that eggs were something Mr. J could eat.  It didn't matter in recipes if there were a few medium eggs because there were no plans to use them like that.  Fast forward about 3 days and I wanted cookies.  The one medium egg didn't seem like enough wetness.  I added another.  Bad idea!


Lesson learned: 2 medium eggs does not equal 1 large egg.


Regardless they all tasted quite good.  Plates were cleaned and milk was finished.

10 comments:

  1. Well I am glad that you forged ahead and kept on experimenting. If you never try it you will never know. Your final cookies do look delicious and I certainly like the pick of nutella for the flavor. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nutella.. delicious.. sooooooo delicious. You should check out my crazy nutella ramblings.. I'm gonna go eat nutella with a spoon now. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness those look delish still, I mean if they're soft enough you can still use a cookie cutter of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha the title of this post made me laugh. We all have our cookie fails from time to time. Although, you can hardly consider it a fail when Nutella's involved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha awesome story - I once thought I could use more baking powder than necessary... No t pretty :P
    They look amazing and nutella cookies = no matter shape or form will be eaten!
    Awesome blog!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Chocolate Malted Malteser Cookies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, that is not a fail! Cut it up into squares and dive in. Heck, I'd eat it off of the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer about the first batch of cookies! I still would have devoured them, breaking off hunks ;)! Glad to hear the second ones turned out better! Nutella day is something that should be celebrated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've certainly had my fair share of cookie fails. But the most important thing is that we learn something...and in this case, they ended up tasting pretty good too! Thank you for sharing, sweet friend! I hope you are having a great start to your week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha I'm so happy I saw your post! I was literally about to try the same thing. I was all excited its almost national Nutella day and was ready to experiment with a Nutella cookie! Your second batch looks great though! And honestly you really can't mess up anything with Nutella, I'd eat it any way it came :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. BRILLIANT! I would have never thought to add rolled oats - good for you and thanks for a lesson in perseverance!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...