Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Charlotte, NC


This weekend we took a little trip to Charlotte, NC.  Sadly, when we arrive a cold front came through and we were there during their coldest day of the year thus far.  We weren't so lucky with the temperatures but the sun was shining brightly.  We were able to get out and see a lot.


Our first night in town we ate at The King's Kitchen.  They are a not for profit restaurant that serves a variety of classic Southern cuisine.  It was good.  We started with an appetizer of fried oysters.  Very rich, and very good.  They basically just melted in your mouth and there was no need for the two sauces that came with the dish. 


I ended up with fried catfish.  I think I had more fried food in this meal than I ate in the last year. I would not say I am expert in fried catfish but this was great stuff.  I ate it right up.   The best part of the meal was the sides.dishes.  Mr. J and I both ordered in the section Meat + Three.  You picked your meat then got to pick 3 sides from a great list.  Let me tell you about a hard choice.  I could have had one of each.  Well maybe not the black eyed peas; they creep me out a bit but the rest all seemed like marvelously delicious options.  I got the stewed tomatoes, mac n cheese, and green beans.  Yum, yum, and double yum.  Everyone laughs about Southern food adding on the weight but now I can see why.


Mr. J got the pan fried chicken with potatoes and gravy, collard greens, and cabbage.  He had the same reaction I did.  It was all delicious and we wiped our plates clean.  Everything was very reasonably priced and it went to a good cause.   

I was surprised to learn that Davidson, NC was so close to Charlotte.  Sunday morning we decided to take a little trip to visit.  The campus was gorgeous and the town was so quaint.  I could see myself growing old there.  My favorite thing was the health food store just around the corner from Main Street.  There was a great selection of foods, the largest bulk bin selection I have ever seen and they had frozen herbs.  Have you ever seen such a thing...you could buy little ice cubs of parsley, basil, garlic, ginger, peppers...the list goes on.  Love it!

4 comments:

  1. I live about an hour from Charlotte so I am so pleased to hear you had a pleasant visit to NC. So sorry that the weather didn't cooperate because we really have had fantastic weather down south.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty looking Southern food at that place, glad you enjoyed it-I know I would have-yum!
    I have never seen the frozen herbs-interesting concept.
    Thanks for sharing you dining adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These foods look awesome

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you're having a GREAT time in Charlotte! I really like the top photo! Now you know why I have so much trouble keeping my weight down...Southern food is GOOD! I love stewed tomatoes in mac & cheese, too! The health food store sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...