We don't have a true diagnosis for Mr. J. He has to go to another doctor this week. The good news is he is doing much better and is almost back to his normal self. I think he would rather be sick again as he had it pretty good with me waiting on him 24/7.
The problem is with stomach issues the way to get better comes with a more restrictive diet. Remember all of those fried foods and steaks from last weekend. No good. We are going low fat and little spice for a while. The diet has improved a bit from white bread, rice, and chicken broth. This was the first real test on Saturday night. It was a winner in my book for flavor and Mr. J didn't feel bad after eating it. Score!
Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided into 1/2 tablespoon servings
1 1/2 lb boneless, skinned chicken breasts
1 chicken broth concentrate package
3 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup low-fat sour cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 oz noodles, cooked without salt or fat (Bowties)
1. Cut chicken breasts into 1/2" strips
2. Spray a large skillet with the nonstick cooking spray, then add 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil. Heat oil until hot over a medium-high heat. Add chicken breast strips and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, or until it is no longer pink. Remove chicken and set aside.
3. Adding the remaining 1/2 vegetable oil to the same skillet. Saute mushrooms, onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add low-fat sour cream and chicken broth to the skillet. Stir and heat thoroughly.
5. Add chicken to the mushroom mixture and serve over noodles
I was completely impressed by how good this turned out. To be completely honest, the new dietary restrictions are similar to how I would eat anyway. Maybe eating like this again I will lose a few pounds along the way...the ones I gained when Mr. J took over cooking weeknight dinners.