Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Crock Pot Coconut Curry Chicken


There ares some days where it seems like I just cannot get ahead.  Those are the days when I feel like I should just give up and start again tomorrow.  That is just what I did last night when at 8:30pm I called it quits and promptly went to bed.  

I needed to pack.

I needed to finish my Christmas thank you notes.

I had emails to write, dishes to wash, and blogging to do.  Instead I just gave up.


My body must have been telling me something because I slept right thought till 6:30am.  That NEVER happens.  What is more strange is this weekend I did the exact same thing 3 nights in a row.  I kind of feel like a lump on a log.  

To top it all off I was so disappointed to realize after yesterdays post that those pictures really weren't that great.  The lack of sunlight is really starting to kill me.  For some reason after uploading those pictures I thought they were pretty good.  A day later and I am thinking they are pretty poor.  I will just remain in my disillusionment a bit longer.  And then practice some more.



I wouldn't say these pictures are that much better but I blame the food itself instead of my abilities.  I broke my cardinal rule for a Crock Pot meal that it should not involve more dishes than the Crock Pot.  This took way too many dishes in my mind but it was well worth it for some homemade, easy Indian meal.  

You throw everything but the chicken into a blender to make a sauce.  It is a beautiful sauce.  Then you put the sauce on the chicken in the Crock Pot and turn on.  6 hours later and you have a delicious chicken dish. The problem here is not the Crock Pot recipe but the fact that you need a starch to serve this with plus I like a green veggie at every meal.  Hence multiple dishes...too many dishes. 


Crock Pot Coconut Curry Chicken

Ingredients:
1 LB Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, Cut Into Large Cubes
1 whole Onion, Peeled And Halved
3 cloves Garlic, Peeled
1 whole Small Green Bell Pepper, Seeded And Quartered
1 can (156ml Can) Tomato Paste
1 can (about 400ml Can) Coconut Milk
1-½ teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
1 Tablespoon Garam Masala
2 whole Dry Red Chili Peppers
2 Tablespoons Water
1-½ Tablespoon Cornstarch

Directions:
1. Place chicken cubes inside the slow cooker.

2. Place the rest of the ingredients (except chili peppers, cornstarch, water and coriander) in a food processor bowl and process together until the mix is smooth. Pour sauce mix on top of the chicken, mix well, add hot peppers if using any, then close the lid. Cook on low for 6 hours.

3. An hour before serving, mix together water and cornstarch until the cornstarch is completely dissolve. Add to the chicken curry and mix well. Place the lid back on for the rest of the cooking time.

4. Serve on top of steaming white rice. 



I couldn't not post this.  As our routine as soon as I finished cleaning the multiple dishes from dinner and sat next to Mr. J on the couch he promptly decided he needed is night sweet treat.  The problem here is that he had to have an ice cream sandwich made with those blueberry shortcake cookies. We only had coffee ice cream so off he went to the store for some vanilla ice cream.  Then he took out a pan...


How can you say no to a grinning face that says "I will wash it."



A little butter, heat, and melted blueberry jam and you have yourself one fine looking dessert. I passed.  Note that all of the dishes remained in the sink till this morning. Some things will never change.


11 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better soon! I know how you feel, I had this happen right after I returned home from Germany.
    I wish my pictures looked anywhere near as good as yours!
    Anyways, I love the recipe - I adore coconut, and am always up for a good chicken curry. I just wish I had space in my tiny half kitchen for a crock pot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that dessert is even better than those cookies on their own! So brilliant. What will you do tomorrow? Put that whole pile of delicious on top of a cake? Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all have those days! I just had one of those days as well and I spent the day watching a Glee marathon with my daughter on Netflix instead. It's good for your mental health to be able to walk away from it for a little while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm I love curries like this, and this slow cooker version looks perfect. And that ice cream sandwich! Makes me want one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good! I made a brazilian dish super similar to this, I cant wait to try in my crock pot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounded like you needed a little bit of rest! The curry looks delicious (as does the dessert - very creative) and sometimes you've got to use an extra pan or something for the crock pot. I don't mind that because once I turn it on, I can walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks pretty great and sounds even better. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm def going to try this. I love crock pot meals and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling out of sorts. I think sleeping in late is a sign your body needed it! I wasn't sleeping much while I was really sick, but this whole weekend, I've been sleeping in until 10! I'm just letting it happen!

    This curry chicken looks great. I wish my husband would like Indian food. I would LOVE this, he would hate it, lol. Gonna keep it in mind for when he is out of town!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe looked so delicious, but unfortunately is was very....blah! For people not in the know, it should not even be compared to Indian food. We ended up throwing the rest out. Sorry to say this....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry you didn't like it. I don't care for curry so no there is not a lot of that in this recipe. You can always mix up the spices to your preferences.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...