Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Snacking Deliciousness


Way back to a few years ago, Mr. J and I took a long weekend up to Vermont.  We explored lots of little towns and saw Lake Champlain.  It was a great time.  My favorite part of the trip was our jaunt to Cabot's Factory and Store.  Cabot is the only block cheese I will just.  Seeing where it was made and the mass production line was fascinating.  We also enjoyed the store that had many varieties and products that are difficult to find else where.  There were also lots and lots of samples.

One of the samples was for the Cheddar Powder Shaker.  Powdered Cheddar Cheese in a jar.  It was amazingly fantastic when we sampled in the store on top of popcorn.  The only problem was that we didn't buy any at the time.  We later found out that it is only available at that store or online. 


I don't know how many times in the years that passed did Mr. J mention that cheddar powder.  Finally this year at Christmas he said not only did he want some but he thought it would be a great idea to include a jar in some of our Christmas gifts. 

 Although my one and only thought for the cheddar powder is popcorn you can also use it on roasted  and steamed veggies or as a soup topper.  We had some on broccoli one night and it did add extra yumminess.  My next trial will be on top of potatoes. I think it is going to be good.



But back to the popcorn.  Growing up my brother was obsessed with homemade popcorn.  I remember him asking my mom to make it at least once a week.  I never really cared too much for the snack but I was so fascinated watching it pop up. The first kernels would always scare me to death.  I never learned not to stick my face in the pot. 



I made sure that I had Mr. J in on the action and now he knows how to make homemade popcorn all on his own.  I know this is going to be a common occurrence as long as we have the cheddar powder so it was important to share the knowledge.


Volia! Homemade Smart Food only a hundred times better all thanks to Cabot.


16 comments:

  1. I've never made popcorn the old-fashion way! It must be fun, and delicious especially with that powder, I love cheese!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cabot cheese, never knew that they had this product-yum! I can think of many a uses for that. Ha so now you are back to a household with weekly pop corn popping-especially since Mr J can make it. Funny that the product came up as a want after all these years-it must be tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, if only I liked popcorn! Now, my wife on the other hand would love this to pieces. Homemade things just always trump store-bought pre-made ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound good! And making popcorn the old fashioned way is THE best. My dad used to make it that way on Saturday nights after we all went to bed, and it was like torture smelling that from in bed and not being able to have any of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't tell you the last time I made microwave popcorn. The old fashioned way tastes SO much better! ...and popcorn is my all-time favorite food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smart Food used to be one of my favorite snacks... and this looks so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all of the comments. This stuff in great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Freaking delicious, but I'm way too lazy to spend more than the time it takes to throw a bag in the microwave making popcorn :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to try that Cabot cheese powder! I used to be obsessed with this cheddar butter popcorn from Orville Redenbacker. Not only did it have a cheesy coating, but it had a cheesy sauce too! IT WAS HEAVEN. Sadly, they stopped making it a while back, and my life has been incomplete ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My boyfriend recently showed me how to make popcorn like this on the stove! It is so much fun and tastes waaay better than the microwave bags!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a total fiend for popcorn and we bought something similar to this today. I don't think we have this brand in our store here but it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband loves cheese popcorn! I need to get my hands on that shaker!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love homemade popcorn. My old roommates in college and I used to make it homemade and I haven't gone back to the microwave version since. It tastes so much better and I love that I can control what goes on it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always prefered old fashioned popcorn, tastes somehow better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I invite that popcorn to come stay in my belly. I think it will like it there :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...