Monday, January 2, 2012

Mexican Taco Stew

The first day back is always the hardest. Unfortunately the company I work for decided the best holiday to close the office was Friday, December 30th. Thus, this morning I had to get back into the routine of going to work while millions of other Americans had one more day off. It was rough. I am starting to feel better but it is slow going. Being sick and having to go back to work after a week off is not fun. I sent three emails off before 9am which promptly got three out of office responses.  It made it all the worst knowing that others were still enjoying break while I was working.  On the bright side, it made for a slower day for me to ease back into things.  

I saw this recipe a while ago in my Whole Foods email newsletter. It was one of those things that instantly caught my attention.  It sounded good and required little effort to put together.  This is key for me during the work week.  Plus, it is officially winter time. I love warm, comforting foods in the winter.  Soups are my favorite.

Mexican Taco Stew

Adapted from Whole Foods Market

Ingredients

1/2 pound 85% lean ground beef or turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
2 Serrano peppers, finely chopped 
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (15-ounce) canned black beans
1 (14.5-ounce) canned diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 cup salsa

Note: The original recipe called for 1 chopped zucchini or summer squash.  We added the fresh peppers for an extra flavor kick.

 

Directions:
Brown meat in a large pot over medium high heat. Drain, remove and set aside. 

In the same pot, sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent. 

Add meat back to pot and sprinkle mixture with taco seasoning to blend. Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes.


This was one of the meals that Mr. J decides to ask me about early in the day and by the time dinner rolls around he has convinced himself that he doesn't really want to eat it.  Good thing I am still sick.  Sickness gives me this power over Mr. J.  He knows I cannot argue with him.  Amazingly instead of taking advantage of my disadvantage he doesn't even try.  When he first heard of Mexican Taco Stew he wanted none of it.  Basically, I weakly put my foot down and said this is what we are having and although not sold on the idea he was game to try it out.  It helped that we had a bunch of fresh peppers that I mentioned could be added.


The end result was way beyond expectations.  The stew smelled so good and slowly drifted through the apartment for the cooking process.  I had Mr. J drooling before he even began to eat.  It was like nachos in a bowl but much less heavy.  We added broken up tortilla chips which gave a nice crispy texture to the stew.  If you have the end of a bag of chips this would be perfect.  We opened a brand new bag and felt sad to be breaking up such beautiful big chips for the toppings.  This is going to be added to the go-to rotation of dinners. 

11 comments:

  1. Looks like the perfect end to a winter day, especially the first day back! Glad Mr. J came 'round! Sometimes they just need some convincing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this does look good! I have made my enchilada chili with ground beef before, but I am just more of a chicken fan! I am sure chicken would be great in this too!
    My husband had to go back to work today too, more depressing for him was he was missing the college bowl games!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really does look delicious! I hope you feel better too - it's always a bummer to go to work when everyone else is off, but it used to give me a rare opportunity to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! Hope you're feeling better now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done the work thing while most people are on holiday-not fun. I hope you are feeling better.
    Your southwestern stew does look delicious! Sometimes it is best not to tell hubby in advance-just cook and place it in front of him and let his taste buds decide instead of his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! It's totally frigid here today and this stew looks like a perfect winter's meal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would be great to make after work! It goes together so quick and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm that looks so cozy and comforting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds amazing! What a great way to get tacos and still have a nice warming Winter soup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your feeling better.... I love whole foods and this looks super tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good!! I need to try this. I think my husband would loveeee this recipe!

    Happy 2012

    : )
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...