Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Baked Potato Soup


Soup is one of my most favorite things to eat. If I could pick only one thing to eat for the rest of my life soup would be up there on my list. I don't know if that is a fair answer since soup is a broad category in and of itself but we are going to go with it. 


With the weather turning cold, I am even more excited about eating soup.  Plus if you make a big pot over the weekend it will last you all week long. Three cheers for easy leftover meals. 

Mr. J doesn't have nearly as much enthusiasm for soup as I do so I really have to talk it up ahead of time. This baked potato soup didn't take much effort.  Thick chunks of potatoes loaded with cheese, bacon and scallions.  Totally man soup.  


The first bowls were paired with grilled cheese sandwiches.  And now we have lunch all week long. 

Baked Potato Soup

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: saute soup/stew bacon potatoes
Ingredients (serves 6)
  • 7C potatoes (or roughly 6 medium)
  • 1C yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 32 oz chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground pepper
  • 1/4 C plain yogurt
  • 3 slices thick cut bacon
  • Shredded Cheese of your choice
  • Chopped Scallions
Instructions
Prepare potatoes by peeling and chopping into small chunks, roughly 1" in size.
Place a 8 qt pot of water on high. Bring potatoes to a boil and cook for 8-10 minutes until just soft. When done, drain and set aside until onions are cooked.

Meanwhile, in another large soup pot over medium heat cook bacon. Drain on paper towels. Use a paper towel to careful wipe up some of the bacon grease, leaving just enough to cook the onions and garlic. Chop bacon, set aside.

Add all vegetables to pot with bacon grease. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook on medium low until the onions soften, about 10-15 minutes. Pour in chicken stock and add potatoes to pot.

Remove 1/3-1/2 of the soup mixture to a blender. Blend until smooth. Return to pot. Stir and cover, continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes or until heated through.

When ready to serve, garnish with shredded and bacon, and scallions.

May be stored chilled for up to several days.
Powered by Recipage

3 comments:

  1. I have to agree...soup is one of my favorite things in the world. This looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a new soup recipe and I LOVE making soup because then there's always the option of food that's already cooked. Mine never lasts all week though because I have a gordo for a husband :) This looks YUM

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...