Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Classic Lasagna with Meat Sauce

The ultimate comfort food. A dense lasagna with hearty meat sauce and an abundance of cheese.


Yesterday flew by.  Like I went into the office at 7:30 and before I knew it it was noon. Not that I mind too much.  I was super glad when the day was done but man Monday almost didn't exist for me. I am torn about whether or not I want the trend to continue today.


After a day like Monday all I want is to come home to a nice comforting meal. For me, that meal is lasagna. Lasagna was something I always requested from my mom when I came home from college. There is just something about the layered pasta, red sauce, and cheesy goodness that I cannot get enough of. 


This meal is a little time consuming for a week night but in my mind it is well worth the extra effort. Plus it leaves plenty of leftovers.  I will be eating this all week long.

Classic Lasagna with Meat Sauce

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: bake entree ground beef pasta Italian
Ingredients (serves 8)
  • 1 1/2 cups fat-free ricotta cheese
  • 6 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, divided
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced and divided
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 12 ounces extra-lean ground beef (93% lean)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 (28-ounce) canned crushed tomatoes
  • Cooking spray
  • 12 lasagna noodles, cooked
  • 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine ricotta, about 1/2 cup mozzarella, 2 tablespoons parsley, oregano, 1 garlic clove, and egg; set aside.

Place ground beef in a large non­stick skillet over medium-high heat; sprinkle with peppers and remaining 4 garlic cloves. Cook for 9 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring to crumble; drain. Return beef mixture to pan; stir in marinara sauce, and remove from heat.
Spread 1/2 cup meat sauce in bottom of a broiler-safe 11 x 7–inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Arrange 4 noodles along the bottom of the dish. Top noodles with 1 cup meat sauce, and then 1/2 of the ricotta mixture. Repeat.

Arrange remaining 4 noodles on top. Spread remaining meat sauce over top noodles. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 4 ounces (1 cup) mozzarella cheese and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.

Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until bubbly.

Preheat broiler to high. (Keep lasagna in oven.)

Broil lasagna for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and sauce is bubbly. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.
Powered by Recipage

4 comments:

  1. pure comfort food! I love this hearty lasagna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lasagna, too...and mine is quite similar except I use mild Italian sausage :) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lasagna is one of my family's favorite dishes... This recipe is a winner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is comfort food to the highest degree :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...