Sunday, October 12, 2014

Apple Cinnamon Donuts with Cinnamon Sugar

Taste the essence of fall with these apple cinnamon donuts with cinnamon sugar.



Happy Sunday!!  This is the first weekend in a long time that we were home. Just the two of us. With no major projects to get done.  And beside the cold temperatures and rainy weather it was wonder.  Even those things weren't too bad. Bring on the soup, sweat pants and movies.  



Mr. J loves apple cider donuts.  Heck, he loves all donuts but in the fall he really loves these.  We have an orchard quite close by and he tends to drop in often to get his fix.  Sadly a lot of the time they aren't hot.  When it comes to apple cider donuts they need to be hot in my mind.  I guess I am picky like that.  



So as a special treat I decided to bake up some of our own apple cider donuts.  Enjoyed (maybe a bit too much) straight out of the oven.


These donuts come together super fast and don't requite any fancy ingredients. Unless of course you count apple cider as super fancy. I used the cider from our local orchard. It is so thick and flavorful I probably could have skipped the instructions below for reducing the mixture. 

We had our fill and then ate the rest the following morning.  A few seconds in the microwave do the fix if you like them warm like me. 

Apple Cinnamon Donuts with Cinnamon Sugar

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast apple fall
Ingredients (18 donuts or 36 donut holes)
    For the Donuts:
    • 1 and 1/4 cups apple cider
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 large egg, room temperature
    • 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
    • 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    For the topping:
    • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Instructions
    First, simmer apple cider over low-medium heat in a small saucepan on the stove for 15-20 minutes until reduced. You will need 1/2 cup of reduced cider. Transfer cider to a separate container and allow to cool in the refrigerator as make the donuts.

    Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a mini muffin pan or donut pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.

    Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.

    In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until smooth. Whisk in the buttermilk, vanilla, and 1/2 cup of the cooled apple cider reduction.

    Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and very gently mix together with a whisk. Whisk until all ingredients are just combined. It is OK if small lumps remain, but not many.
    Pour the batter into the mini muffin pan, filling 3/4 of the way full. You'll only need a couple teaspoons of batter for each. Do the same if you are making whole donuts. 

    Bake the donut holes for 9-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The donuts will take the same amount of time.

    For the topping:
    Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Dip the donuts all the way into the cinnamon sugar, using your hands to mix it around so the entire donut hole (or donut) is coated generously. Repeat with all the donuts.
    Powered by Recipage

    7 comments:

    1. I just made a version of these, and I like y our recipe better.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love love lazy weekends too! These apple cider donuts will make my Mr J happy as well :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I am definitely bookmarking this recipe.... it looks perfect for the fall. I also love the little donut holes (they are my favorite). :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Apple cider donuts?! What are you doing to me? These look mouthwateringly excellent. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼ ☯

      ReplyDelete
    5. Oooh, my family would love these. Now I just need to remember where I stashed my donut pans!

      ReplyDelete
    6. I've never made doughnuts before but these sound delicious! I'm not sure why I thought it would be so hard!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

    You might also like reading:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...