Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Getting Boozy with Rum Cake

I am on vacation till next Monday. That means for me the treats are going to keep on coming till then. If you are looking for something savory, healthy, you might want to check back next week.  I am sure by then I will have had my full of sweet desserts.  Come January the return of meatless Mondays and no wine with dinner will have arrived. 

This week though Rum Cake is on the menu.  We first sampled this treat as a gift from one of my Dad's co-workers.  We raved about it being so delicious she pretty easily handed over the recipe.  Since then, we have been enjoying this cake every Christmas.

Rum Cake

Ingredients:
1 Pkg Dunkin Hines Butter Cake mix
1 Pkg Instant Vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2C vegetable oil
1/2C water
1/2C rum


1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Flour a bundt cake pan. 

2.  Mix all ingredients on medium speed for 3 minutes.  Pour into bundt pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.

Optional:  you can place 1C chopped pecans or walnuts in bottom of pan before you pour in the batter for an extra treat.


I was a little surprised to see this gigantic bottle of booze in the cabinet.


Glaze:
1 stick butter
1/4C rum
1/4C water
1C sugar

Combine ingredients in saucepan and melt down.  Bring to a boil for 3 minutes.  Pour hot liquid over the cake and let soak in bundt pan for 1 hour.  After an hour remove cake from pan.


The cake keeps for a week.  The rum soaks in more and more so its great to make in advance, however once the aroma hits your face you will be hard pressed not to just dig right in.


9 comments:

  1. Rum and cake - what's not to like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just adore rum cake! And this looks like an easy-peasy version. Gotta try it! My aunt often made a rum cake. As a kid, I hated it, but now is a different story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good go to recipe when I am in the mood for something fluffy buttery and rum laden! It looks delicious and I am glad to come across an easy recipe. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, looks good. I've never had rum cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. Goodness! Yum....just YUM!

    (and please can I have some?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore cakes soaked in rum like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rum and cake are just a perfect combo!! Please save a big slice of this one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm this looks like a cake I could sink my teeth into! I love that you let it soak with the glaze too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, sounds great! I haven;t had rum cake a lot, bur I love how it gets soaked with flavor :) Looks like a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...