Saturday, December 17, 2011

Weekend Edition: Christmas Preparations

This is a first weekend in a long time that we had absolutely no plans.  It was marvelous. On top of that I have no work trips this week.  Christmas is a mere 7 days away. My first celebration is slated for December 24th and I am getting more and more anxious for it by the second hour. I may have even convinced Mr. J that a present or two should be opened before then. 

In my down time this weekend I did some reading. This was a great book.  It was set in southern Maine. The same area where I used to spend my summers with my grandmother.  They listed out places and restaurants that I have been to and it brought back so many memories. 



Lots of baking was also done.  I honestly don't know how I am going to get rid of all of the treats but it sure was fun making everything. I think my co-workers are going to have quite a few surprises this week.

We also decided to go shopping in Hartford at two shopping plazas and the big mall.  I am not sure this was the best idea.  The first stop was not bad and we lucked out with a parking spot within 2 minutes of pulling in.  The mall was a completely different story.  Hectic is a huge understatement.  It took way longer to find parking and we ended up walking about 10 minutes to get in.  All I can say is it took all of my might not to buy anything. I have a tendency to buy everything on my list for me before Christmas.  It was so hard not to pick up a few things. Mr. J promised to bring me back after Christmas to get anything Santa forgot.

To fuel up from all of our bustling around we ended up at a conveyor belt sushi restaurant.  Have you ever been to such a place? I have been wanting to try one for quite some time.  I was a little worried though and kept reminding Mr. J that it was not all-you-can-eat.  Mr. J can put away sushi like a professional eater.


All of the options keep going around and around. You can take as many different rolls as you would like.  At the end they count up your plates and price you by color. 


It wasn't the best sushi I ever had but it hit the spot last night.  Mr. J was so focused on the plates going around we had little dialogue during dinner.  I think all of the options were a bit much for him. His eyes kept darting back to the conveyor belt. I had to laugh out loud a few times.


We managed to stack up quite a few plates. Mr. J said he could have doubled what he ate and still ate some more. Good thing this place isn't close. All in all it was a fun experience but definitely not fine dining.

Have you ever been to conveyor belt sushi?


What did you do this weekend?

6 comments:

  1. The book sounds good. It's now on my Amazon wish list. Thanks! I love finding new reading material.

    Never been to one of those type of sushi restaurants though I've heard of them. I always thought they sounded fun though the idea of the possible expense scared the crap out of me :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a great dining experience this weekend! I am not really familiar with the conveyor belt type of sushi restaurant.
    I have been making a list of books I want to read, but have yet to venture forth and decide on which. Enjoy the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to one of those sushi places. When I lived in San Fransisco there was this place that had a moat running around the restaurant with little wooden boats carry plates of sushi. I loved that place - it's a fun experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of conveyor belt sushi - I've heard of them but never indulged. ...and with my seafood allergy - I only get to watch now! Glad you had a good weekend and it was VERY brave of you to go to the Mall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like so much fun. I am not a huge fan of sushi. Mini-me is allergic to seafood too so we rarely do that stuff. But I like the veggie ones some places do. I wonder if they have places that do steak on a belt??? Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been to a place like that! I'm picky about sushi so having lots of options might work well for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...