Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Keep the Festivities Going


Are you up yet?  I was thinking before this break that I would be able to sleep through till 7am.  For me this would be extremely late. I have proceeded to wake up before 6am everyday.  I think something might be wrong with my internal clock.  Do you know how to fix it? Christmas morning was one thing; I was ready for the presents.  Now I would like to be able to sleep a bit later. On the bright side my early morning wake ups have led to some yummy desserts breakfasts.


Quick Coffee Cake
From Cooking Down East

Ingredients:
1/3C shortening
1/2C sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2C flour
3 tsp baking powder
3/4C milk

Topping:
1/2C brown sugar
1/2C sifted flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 stick butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C chopped nuts

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Cream shortening. Add salt and sugar gradually and mix together.

Add egg and beat well.  Add milk and combine.

Sift dry ingredients and add to wet mixture gradually. Batter will be stiff.

Place into greased 9 by 9 pan.

Combine all of the topping ingredients together with a pastry blender.  When it becomes a course mix, pour over batter.

Bake for 25 minutes.

This is another Christmas tradition that seems to never go away.  The boys always like the eggs and bacon option but for me it is coffee cake all of the way.

12 comments:

  1. Although I'm an early riser, I'm not a morning person, so a treat like this coffee cake would be a welcome way to transform me into a human being in the a.m. -- with coffee, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My internal clock has been crazy for the whole week before Christmas. I was waking up around 4-5am every morning. I think my body was on overdrive to get all the baking done. Now that the "big day" is over... I am sleeping until 6am which is pretty good for me. :) I'm a serious morning person... so it works for me. Love the coffee cake... Mmmm!! Wishing you the best for 2012... may all your dreams come true!! ~ Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  3. This coffee cake would be a welcome treat in the morning! I like all that streusel on top of that fluffy moist cake-yum! The extra bonus is that it does not take a lot of time. Great post and enjoy this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cake!!! It only takes 25 minutes? How is it possible???

    Dessert or breakfast? It doesn't matter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never go wrong with coffee cake on Christmas morning!! I am such a lover of classic coffee cakes and this one looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at "quick"! I love this recipe and love wowing guests with pastries that seem like they take hours, but really don't. I am saving this for one of those mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love coffee cake, perfect with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful coffee cake! I am a night owl, so it's 2am and I'm doing my blog reading! I will wake up at 7:15, tho...and take a lovely nap in the middle of the day! When I wake, can I have a slice? We can sit at the kitchen table and drink coffee & chat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My internal clock has been all kinds of confused this week as I have been in California and am three hours behind! But, I don't care what time it is, I would love a big slice of this cake right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love me a crumbly topped coffee cake :) Looks like a wonderful recipe in a crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you're feeling much better and enjoy your vacation!
    The coffee cake sounds delicious!
    It's been a pleasure reading and drooling over your delicious recipes this year. Can't wait to see what you have in store for 2012!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well... you can try working 2 jobs and going to school full time - you'll cherish every minute of sleep you get and never wake up before you have to =)

    But I wouldn't recommend it, hehe.

    This coffee cake sounds amazing, and I love how quickly it comes together!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...