Monday, March 31, 2014

Italian Sausage with Gnocchi & Red Peppers {SRC}

Up the ante with this dinner of hot Italian sausage served with gnocchi, red peppers and onions. 


Finally March is over. I wouldn't normally be so happy but March has not been a very good month. I am ready to say goodbye and move on to April.  Hopefully April will bring warm weather and sunny skies.

The end of the month also means it is time for The Secret Recipe Club reveal. I had a newbie from New Zealand, Couscous and Consciousness.  She had many tempting dinners to pick from but ultimate I ended up with Italian Sausage with Gnocchi and Red Peppers.  The night I made this it was cold and rainy outside. I couldn't think of a better way to warm up than with this comfort food dish.


The recipe was essentially just how I made it only I subbed out lemon juice for the original preserved lemon and added some onion. I was a bit skeptical on how it would turn out once I put in the chicken broth but was happily surprised to have the liquids thicken right up.  The hot Italian sausage made the dish a bit hot but you could use sweet Italian sausage if you don't like heat. Overall the flavors were bold but the dish wasn't too heavy as it would have been with a tomato sauce.


We will be certainly having this again. Thanks for the great recipe, Couscous and Consciousness!

Italian Sausage with Gnocchi and Red Peppers

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 1 lb Hot Italian pork sausages
  • 1 red pepper, seeded & cut into strips
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • olive oil
  • flaky sea salt
  • 12 oz frozen gnocchi
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • generous handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Instructions
Remove the sausages from their casings and break the sausage meat into bite-sized pieces.

Set a large skillet over medium heat with a tablespoon of olive oil. As soon as the oil is heated, add the sausages pieces. Move them around in the pan from time to time, until they begin to brown. Once the sausage is browning add the red pepper and onion strips.

Sprinkle with a small touch of sea salt and continue cooking until the sausages are brown and crispy and the peppers softened. Remove from the pan and set aside.

While this is cooking, make the gnocchi according to package directions.

Add another couple of tablespoons of olive oil to the pan, and then add the gnocchi. Stir them around to coat them all in the oil, and then fry for a few minutes to brown a little. Pieces will stick to the bottom of the pan.

As soon as the gnocchi have browned a bit, add the sausages and peppers back into the pan, stir to combine.

Add the bay leaf, lemon juice and chicken stock. Stir and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen all those stuck bits. Cook until the liquid thickens.

Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Sprinkle parsley over the top and serve immediately.
Powered by Recipage


Secret Recipe Club

19 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering at your delicious recipe and photos. I have to give this a try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one delicious looking meal. Great SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comfort food at its best! I don't remember last time I had gnocchi, which is too bad, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had gnocchi in soooo long. This recipe is making me want to change that, quickly. Great SRC pick this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum this sounds delicious! And it's so pretty & colorful too! Great SRC pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks amazing!! Love all the colors! :) Happy Reveal Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Italian sausage and gnocchi, such a wonderful combination. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! Love the sound of this one...and the colors! So pretty! Happy SRC reveal day!
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's pouring down rain right now, and this looks so perfect for dinner. GREAT pick this month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love gnocchi. It really is the perfect comfort food for a rainy day! Great pick this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like such a comforting dish! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this looks great! I'm surprised that it's so easy to put together

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Emily, I'm so glad that you made one of my dishes for my first month at SRC. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed this dish, and you made some good changes. It's definitely a favourite dish here, not least because using the gnocchi makes it such a quick and easy dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this sounds fantastic! Totally my type of dinner - I bet I would've picked this to make for the SRC, too! Excellent choice. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another fabulous dinner idea! I miss the SRC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Emily, I do hope you have a better April =) In the meantime, this dish is beautiful. I have never tried making gnocchi and it is on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. yum for gnocchi, gnocchi, gnocchi!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all the colors of this dish... look hearty. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...